[Imc-makerspace] Jan 2011 Pseudo-minutes

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 03:15:53 CST 2011

Hi All,

Here are pseudo-minutes from last night's (Wednesday's) meeting, plus
some notes about what's happened recently. I'm really excited about the
coming year :)

Chris Ritzo and I signed a month-to-month lease for room 15, the current
space. We have the option to renew until June, but as the minutes
indicate, we'll probably move into adjacent room 16 on Feb. 1.

January 5, 2011 Makerspace Business Meeting

Present:
Brian
Chris
Gergana
Sean
Isak

Group feels we should move into space 16.

Plan:

1. Partnerships

Makerspace will partner with the IMC Computer Help Desk and the
Community Wireless (CuWiN) project. This will bring more activity in the
space, provide a space for these projects that currently have no
permanent home, and allow the Help Desk in particular to contribute a
large portion of its donation proceeds to the Makerspace.

2. Programming

Schedule regular, structured, donation-driven workshops in the space.
There will still be open hours, but we need to start utilizing the space
vigorously.

Ideas:

Brian/Chris: Building a computer, PC security, home network security
Gergana: Antivirus/Phishing/Adware/Malware/Spyware awareness
Isak: Ground-up website construction
Chris: Drupal training, MAME cabinet workshops

Brian/Chris/Derek: CuWiN hack hours
Brian/Barry T./Eric P.: Help Desk hours

3. Fundraising

One about every three months. Will plan for all of 2011 NOW on
Makerspace Google Calendar

First definite fundraiser:

Rhythm Manding! African drumming group will split proceeds of benefit
concert at the IMC in February. Thank you, Isak!

Other ideas:

Game tourneys. Catan, Xbox/PS3, Poker(?), MAME fighter tourneys. Chris
will contribute an existing MAME cabinet for tourneys.

Does Chuck have an arcade cabinet he could spare for the new space?

Any cabinet we have in the space could be a revenue generator.

4. Donations

Appeal to past donors and members for 2011 donations.

5. Let's move!

Prep for moving occurring in four sessions. Primarily going through our
current property and putting aside for sale and recycling what we don't
need. This should clear out a large section of the room.

Cleaning days:
Saturday, Jan 8. 1pm to 4pm
Wednesday, Jan 12, 7pm to 9pm
Thursday, Jan 13, 7pm to 9pm
Saturday, Jan15, 7pm to 9pm

We should have a garage sale at the end of January for the public to
take what they want for a donation.

And the rest:

Room 16 is the room that we currently share a door with. It's *slightly*
smaller than our current space, but doesn't feel like it. It's much
better positioned for IMC patrons to come into contact with us. The IMC
has committed to cleaning up the space to our satisfaction before we
move, saving us the cleaning and painting we did when we took possession
of 15.

The IMC has offered 16 to us for $250/mo.

Chris and I are ready to sign a year space sharing agreement for 16.

The IMC has agreed to let us install a keypad combination lock on 16's
door at our expense. This is something we can discuss further since such
a lock can run into the low hundreds. I feel it would allow us to open
up access to many more members than the keys.

More to come!
Brian

--
Brian Duggan