[Imc-makerspace] Freedom is a Lie

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:34:03 CDT 2011

A lot of times operating systems don't allow gdb (and other programs using
the same techniques) to attach to running suid programs, or other programs
running with privs, to prevent them from being abused for security breaches
(and very difficult to find/detect ones at that).  This is true even for the
root user on some systems.

I believe on Mac this can be worked around, using the codesign program that
comes with developer tools, but I am not certain of that... this is a fairly
recent thing.

It really isn't about GPL or any other random anti-freedom thing -- its just
about being careful of random code execution. Keep in mind that if it was a
windows virus you would be ranting about how they shouldn't just trust
arbitrary code, and security this and that with no thoughts of freedom
implications.

Regards,
Erich