[Imc-makerspace] [Imc-bookkeeper] keys for makerspace members & financial situation

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 23 10:51:08 CDT 2011

Isak,
Thanks for clarifying things by following up.

This reinforces the importance of both documenting biz actions of
significance with an email, then following-up promptly if the desired
action or communication doesn't develop.

Don't assume that simply dropping stuff in the safe provides enough info
to process things properly. There's a long, long history of people at
the IMC -- just so everyone knows I'm not at all picking on anyone
specifically about the present case -- dumping stuff on Finance without
proper documentation, then coming back months, even years later,
wondering about accounting for the funds, etc.

This creates a lot of unnecessary work for Finance and suspicion about
accountability by those who typically could have done a better job of
communicating details. This is irritating and creates a superfluous
hassle for everyone involved. If we communicated clearly in the first
place about what the purpose and destination of funding is, as well as
its source for proper attribution of it, we'd have more time for media
by spending less time and resources on bureaucracy.

Sum: Finance can't read minds. Be clear about what you expect and
follow-up proactively. That solved the problem here, but might have also
avoided it entirely, as it would have in many other cases.

Also,
Finance should probably re-evaluate forms currently in use so that there
is more clarity about how things are to be handled according to current
office practices. We haven't done this for awhile, so it's probably
needed. Comments from users are also solicited. Are some of the current
forms mysterious to you as a user? Having trouble finding a form? Let us
know.
Mike Lehman