[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: Reminder About Halls, Fire Doors, Extension Cords

leon mcgee leonmcgeeamericorps at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:45:00 CST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Lehman <rebelmike at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Subject: Reminder About Halls, Fire Doors, Extension Cords
To: imc at lists.chambana.net, leon mcgee <leonmcgeeamericorps at gmail.com>

 Spokes, Tenants, et al,
This information needs to be transmitted to your group list ASAP, please.

Leon, please send this to the Tenants list so they have the message, too.

Despite making a lot of progress in the last few months, we still have some
issues that affect everyone's safety in the building. So I must issue this
reminder. I also must insist that compliance with this direction is
MANDATORY.

First, halls are for people to use, not for storage of miscellaneous stuff.
This is particularly a problem in the basement, but other floors also have
problems from time to time. At a minimum, all areas of the building,
especially including halls and common areas, *must have at least 4 feet of
clearance* so that emergency evacuation of the building is not impeded.

But it's not enough just to plow your stuff to the side and leave 4 feet in
the middle. If it's cluttering or there is stuff just sitting on the floor,
it should NOT be in the hall, because it could present a hazard, even if
there is the 4 feet of clearance. Furniture, properly placed and leaving the
required access path of 4 feet is OK, provided it does not present an
obstruction that could endanger emergency evacuation.

This includes recycling. It's good to be green. But recycling bins belong in
your spaces or their contents should be taken outside and placed in the
recycling bins. Do not leave this stuff in the hall. Having had my house set
on fire because some lowlife set my recycling bin on my front porch on fire,
perhaps due to my work at the IMC, makes me especially sensitive to this
issue at the IMC. Please observe this requirement on recycling at all times.
Recycling belongs in your spaces or outside in the bins, not in the halls.

Second, any door that leads into or out of a stairwell is considered a fire
door. *Do NOT prop these doors open*.

The *ONLY* exception to this is a temporary prop when moving lots of
materials through and, if you do that, the prop must be removed IMMEDIATELY
after such movement is done. *In no case should a fire door be propped open
when there are not people present* moving such materials through. Such a
prop is never a substitute for a key. If you believe that the lock mechanism
needs changed to facilitate passage through a fire door for convenience
purposes, please advise Finance so that we can evaluate the issue. Do NOT
prop a door open as a faulty substitute for consulting with Finance about
the lock.

Please note that the issues here are mostly unrelated to the recent
discussions about security. This is about fire safety. It does NOT matter
whether the fire door is locked or not as far as fire safety, *it MUST be
closed* properly to function as a fire door. All the doors in the building
are properly set up to function as fire doors, so they always open out to
allow emergency escape. Whether they are locked or not to allow people in is
irrelevant to their function as a fire door.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know and I'll be glad to
evaluate specific situations or explain further. *Emergency access is
Priority One when it comes to halls and common areas*.

The last thing is a little more of a gray area than the previous points.
Please *avoid the regular use of extension cords*. You should plug
appliances and lights directly into either an outlet or a power strip.  If
not, then extension cords should be unplugged when items are not in use. It
may be the case that we may have to consider properly adding an outlet.
Bring such concerns to Leon's or Finance's attention. Depending on the
actual need and our budget for such changes, we may or may not be able to
accommodate such request.

Leon has been and will be checking the building regularly for these issues,
because some people seem to have not to have paid attention to the recent
message on these *absolutely mandatory requirements*. Please cooperate with
him. And be aware that future violations may result in the immediate
disposal of stuff cluttering the building. Sorry to be so blunt, but being
Mr. Polite about this hasn't brought the necessary cooperation on the part
of a few, which endangers us all. It simply won't be tolerated any longer.
Thanks,
Mike Lehman

--
Building Coordinator