[Imc-makerspace] Urbana Champaign Mini-MakerFaire and us

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:28:51 CST 2011

Hi all,

On April 16, there will be a Mini-MakerFaire at the IMC. It is technically
being hosted in part by Makerspace Urbana. This means a couple things for
the makerspace (both in the physical and group senses of the term):

1) We are responsible for some sort of workshop in the space itself.

Mostly this is just an excuse to get people downstairs to see what the place
is all about. Discussion so far has been about simple soldering projects
like a blinkly light pin or similar -- basic hands-on that is fun for kids
and adults, but is cheap and doesn't keep people in the place too long
(since space it tight down there).

2) We should make the room "presentable".

I don't mean fancy and clean white-room engineering stations or anything,
just some amount of organization, probably with a bit of show-off stuff like
bare wires and blinking lights -- basically we want people to know how nerdy
we are :) This also means a bit of rearranging to maximize the usefulness of
the space.  In fact - a weekend afternoon devoted to cleaning up/organizing
the space would be a great activity.

3) We should be present in large numbers -- visibly.

I think it would be good to have us wandering around with
shirts/hats/pins/other MU paraphernalia so people know we exist. Also,
perhaps we could turn Derek's intro document in to a flyer or pamphlet
featured prominently at the entrance and in the space itself? I know for
sure we should make a real push to get the makerspaceurbana.org website to
have articles that are newer than 6 months old.

I hope we can figure out a plan of attack and get this worked out in the
next couple days, so we can totally take advantage of the MakerFaire to help
the group too!

Regards,
Erich