[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: Re: [hackerspaces] Geiger counters

Chuck Geigner arcadechuck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:39:04 CDT 2011

Well, just off the top of my head - you may be able to rig a device from a
small CRT - the screen coating/mask would in theory phosphoresce when
bombarded with radioactive particles - if you affixed an array of sensitive
photoresistors in a grid you could at least detect - I'm really not sure if
that would detect all radiation types (alpha, beta, neutron, gamma,
non-ionizing, etc) and how you would even calibrate such a device, but I'll
throw it out there

Chuck

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Stewart Dickson
<MathArt at emsh.calarts.edu>wrote:

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] Geiger
> counters  Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 23:18:57 -0500  From: Chris Hardee
> <shazzner at gmail.com> <shazzner at gmail.com>  Reply-To: Hackerspaces General
> Discussion List <discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org><discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org>  To:
> Hackerspaces General Discussion List <discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org><discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org>
>
> You'll need something like this, I think:
>  http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8875
>
>  Not an easy part to source, I'm afraid.
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Sean Bonner <sean at seanbonner.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know anything abut geiger counters? Specifically building them?
>> Have some folks in Japan who are trying to get their hands on them but
>> failing and considering DIY options...
>>
>> --
>> Sean Bonner
>> http://www.seanbonner.com - homebase
>> http://www.metblogs.com - get local
>>
>> *** Please check your address books, the best e-mail for me is
>> sean at seanbonner.com

Chuck Geigner
<arcadechuck at gmail.com>
http://herdingelectrons.blogspot.com