[Imc-makerspace] State of the project: Great Global Hackerspace Challenge

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:06:22 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

It's been a busy couple days, but I would like to update you all on the
state of our project w.r.t. The Great Gloabal Hackersapce Challenge. On
Sunday I sent an email to the list asking for input on the document
describing the challenge, and asking for input if anyone had any, and
calling for a meeting of interested folks on Monday. Sorry about it being so
fast, but this challenge thing is just moving that fast apparently.

So Monday Derek, Brian, Chris and I met for discussion on the project, on
how to organize the stuff we need to do and so on.  We decided to do these
things:

*have the conference call with the GGHC folks to get details and info.
*create a mailing list for gghc purposes (I'll let Brian announce when this
is complete)
*do some research on technologies relevant to this project.
*set up a time for working on this stuff as a group (I'll send out a doodle
shortly)

On Tuesday we (Brian, Derek, Sam and I) had the call with the GGHC organizer
people. Here are the highlights of what we learned:

*They are giving us $900 in real money, not store credit as we had
previously thought
* there is no contractual obligation (but certainly a social one! ) to
actually do anything
* the main goal from the sponsoring company's point of view is to get
content and communities on their site, which IMO is a bit like a github for
electronics projects.
* they said (which i find awesome) "we've never done an electronics project
before, but we find that these things never work out as planned anyway, but
they usually turn out pretty good". This attitude will certainly be nice to
work with.
* everything else is pretty free form

We have some stuff to do on our end in the short term:
* create a community page for Makerspace Urbana at element14.com.  I started
this today and will continue to refine.
* Be thinking about what our project is
* figure out how to get money to the makerspace urbana coffers.

So with all this info, please let us know if you want to participate along
with us in this contest, as it has some really really cool possibilities for
geeking out.

Regards,
Erich