[Imc-makerspace] Bureau of Public Secrets: Theory of the Derive (Debord)

Stewart Dickson s-dickson at hdfgroup.org
Thu May 19 17:06:18 CDT 2011

de rive: (French) to drift

http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/2.derive.htm
> One of the basic situationist practices is the /dérive,/^(1)
> <http://www.bopsecrets.org/SI/2.derive.htm#1.> a technique of rapid
> passage through varied ambiences. Dérives involve playful-constructive
> behavior and awareness of psychogeographical effects, and are thus
> quite different from the classic notions of journey or stroll.

When I was living in Asheville, NC, one of the members of the Western NC
Media Arts Project proposed a Derive.
The actual night of the planned Derive turned out to be horribly cold,
so we quickly abandoned it.
But, in connection with Situationist filmmaking, I keep thinking about
ways in which conscious mediation or augmented reality
can be injected into the intent of the Derive.

How can the handheld camera convey the psychogeographical effects of the
experience?
Augmented reality -- psychology can be injected into the physical
geography via graffiti or projected images.
I was also thinking that the physical experience of the geography can be
mapped back into
virtual reality -- the psychosphere or noosphere -- by very accurately
recording the camera's
position and orientation via GPS, digital level and digital compass at
each point where images are recorded.
Then the psychology of the geography can be processed in VR.  (Or Google
Earth)

So, in short, agile, portable technology is essential:  Portable image
projector with self-contained power supply;
A "SteadiCam" rigged with GPS, digital level, digital compass and the
real-time recording of orientation with image.
I was thinking what it would take to be able to create stencils of QR
Codes.  They contain a lot of floating squares
that would need to be suspended in the stencil on thin strings or
wires.   Better would be prints on paper applied to
the geography with wallpaper paste.

A portable media production studio including a printer could be housed
in a car with a 12VDC-120V AC Inverter.
It changes the character of the derive from Parisian (pedestrian) to
automotive (Los Angeles).  But, I have been
thinking of similar, mobile digital production in connection with my
'Monumental Lite-Brite' project:
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~mathart/sw/LiteBrite/doc/toLiteBrite.html
The components are large-format light boxes (4'x8') with
'Lite-Brite'-formatted perforated boards (Aluminum @ $125
per 2'x4' panel), digital camera, printer and participants at an outdoor
festival, such as Burning Man.
http://www.burningman.com

Or, quicker is to hack Adams Outdoor Advertising to put up your own
images on their LED billboards.
http://filetrans.adamsoutdoor.com/login.cfm?CFID=362828&CFTOKEN=10c7da1cf6f45a69-66CB0D28-3048-D277-CACD4462E3F80151
Here's the portal -- how does their internal network work?   Ever seen a
Windows "File not found" error message on a
Adams Outdoor Advertising e-Billboard?   I have!