[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: Patent reform signed into law

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Sat Sep 17 18:02:54 CDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Patent reform signed into law
Date: 	Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:22:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: 	Patrick Leahy <info at leahyforvermont.com>
To: 	mathart at emsh.calarts.edu

Stewart --

*

Photo Credit: Marcelle Leahy

*

I just returned from the White House, where President Obama signed the
bipartisan /Leahy-Smith America Invents Act/, which will spur economic
growth and create jobs without adding a penny to the deficit.

*The LeahyForVermont.com community came together to support the America
Invents Act last spring -- which represents the first significant reform
to the nation's patent system in nearly six decades.* With your help and
President Obama's signature today, this legislation will bolster
economic development, sustain American innovation, and create American
jobs by:

    * Weeding out patents that should not have been issued and which
      therefore impede innovation;
    * Providing the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office with the resources
      it needs to reduce the backlog of nearly 700,000 patent applications;
    * Providing fee reductions in patent applications for small
      businesses to encourage innovation and allow small businesses to
      direct resources to growing their businesses and creating jobs.

Patent reform is a crucial part of any jobs creation agenda. The America
Invents Act will help unleash new American inventions and promote the
innovative spirit that keeps our nation at the forefront of the global
economy.

After six years of work, America's patent system will give our
entrepreneurs and businesses the tools they need to thrive in the 21st
century, and ensure our patent system remains the envy of the world.

Thank you again for standing with me on this and so many of our
legislative priorities in Washington.

Sincerely,

Patrick Leahy
U.S. Senator

*Contribute* <http://leahy.convio.net/site/R?i=KTR3aa-hRU4Qvt7rzJq9qA>

Paid for by Leahy for U.S. Senator Committee, Inc.
PO Box 1042
Montpelier, VT 05601

Click here
<http://leahy.convio.net/site/CO?i=AaI_vCwNHudSE5R-HmXZV-mLmtEthDO_&cid=0>
to manage your subscription settings or unsubscribe from future mailings.