[Imc-makerspace] Nov/Dec Membership Meeting

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:19:45 UTC 2012

Thanks for coming, everyone!  Here are some notes on what we talked about.
If there are any action items, I've marked them in bold.

Attendees: Jeff, Erich, Tom, James, Emily, Brian, Gergana, Chris, Barry,
Will

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- "Your mom doesn't work here" cleaning day: Saturday, Dec. 8 @ 11am
       #) will mostly focus on the back room
       #) should work on making a list of all infrastructure bits (e.g.
first aid kit, white board cleaners, etc.) we will need for a full
re-organization
    -- Google analytics for the Makerspaceurbana.org site
       #) currently not sure if we need all the domain names we're
currently paying for; this is a good way to help us make that decision
    -- Anyone attend the Gigabit Co-op meeting?
       #) No one; no update
    -- Girls do Science group @ the Orpheum
       #) Are interested in coming to visit the makerspace maybe in
Feb/March;
       #) everyone is in agreement this should happen; *James will get
Jeff, Gergana in touch with the Orpheum*
     -- Would be nice to have a list of all things we've done in the past
listed on our website; *Will will get that rolling*
     -- Should we buy a fire extinguisher?  *Chris will check* if the IMC
building will provide one instead
*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- we're $2,500 in the positive; good to go on the re-org efforts
(buying shelves, building materials, etc.)
    -- *Chris and Gergana to solidify the membership requirements* over
e-mail and send it out to the list for review
    -- consider renter's insurance?  *James will share links* to some
"things to keep in mind when starting a makerspace"; *Chris will look
into*what kind of insurance we have under the IMC
    -- square account?  *Erich will look into* what we need to get a square
account or other viable options (requirements are: credit card
transactions, paypal-alternative for online payments)
*) RFID lock update
    -- all the hardware is in; Brian has a working prototype!
    -- left to do: write the code; *Brian and Erich will organize *that
effort on Wednesdays during open hours
*) Solidoodle update
    -- Now that we've had it for a couple of months, it's time to do
workshops!
    -- Should organize monthly "get started with 3D printing" workshops
       $) tentative time slot: 4-5:30pm on every 4th Sunday, to sync up
with our monthly meeting, lead by Brian and James
       $) *James will get* the flyer design started
*) Past events:
    -- Brian showed 3D printing to some 4th-graders: excitement all around
*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Ornament-making workshops
       #) Sewing ornaments<https://www.facebook.com/events/300356796749241/>,
Saturday, Dec. 1 @ 2-5pm at the Makerspace
          $) good time was had by all; check out our pictures on the
Faceboook page
       #) Glass fusion
ornaments<https://www.facebook.com/events/381958308559789/>,
Sunday, Dec. 9 @ 2-5pm at 602 E. High St in Urbana
          $) still have some spaces open; if people are interested, sign up
now!
    -- School for Designing a Society Design Fair, Sunday Dec. 9
       #) coincides with our glass-fusion ornament-making so not sure if we
can do it yet; *Chris will follow-up*
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (The Urbana Free Library Edition)
       #) firm plans to do a series of workshops on Thursdays in Feb and
start of March @ 3:30pm;
       #) need volunteers to help teach the workshops; *if interested,
e-mail Jeff and Chris*
       #) not enough experience teaching the circuit bending workshop; *Erich
will talk to CMKT4 <https://sites.google.com/site/cmktfour/home>* to see if
they'd be willing to do it
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (Bethel Church Edition)
       #) have applied for another grant to teach people basic computer
skills, still waiting to hear back on decision
       #) will also involve buying monitors so larger sum requested
($3,000); 3 sessions of yet-to-be-determined time
       #) Emily interested in helping out as she has some resources we can
use
       #) should do a follow-up planning meeting next week to get the ball
rolling
    -- Discotech (Jan/Feb '13 timeframe)
       #) Boys & Girls club is on board with getting this done; will try to
set a date in January
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (either April or fall '13)
       #) first planning meeting already happened; will look to set a more
permanent planning date and send it out to the list
    -- Another movie night?
       #) Yes!  Decided on Friday, Dec. 14 @ 7pm;
       #) *Gergana will get things started*; if you have any ideas of a
holiday techie movie, e-mail her

If I missed anything, let me know.  Hope everyone has excellent holidays!

~Gergana