[Imc-makerspace] Mitch Altman Visit in Feb/March?

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Wed Feb 15 18:29:47 CST 2012

On 2/15/12 3:28 PM, Mitch Altman wrote:

> And I'm ready for TechKnowledge on 1-March (though 8am is *not* my
> usual time of day)!
Yeah, that's 6:00AM San Francisco time, but it's in the middle of the
afternoon Paris time.  :)
You will actually be here on Thursday, 23-Feb, too -- although I suppose
you'll be resting up from your trip?   =)   I'll be doing the radio show
that morning, too.   Every Thursday from 8 to 9.

> If gmc survived staying with you, then I'm sure I can too.  (Hi gmc!
> Cool that you've visited my old home town.  :)
>
> I am booked nights from 26-Feb through 2-March, for Unit One.  But am
> open for giving a talk any day or night after that.  And if I can stay
> at your place, Stewart, then I can stay till the date we choose.  What
> day is cool?
So, your return trip is open-ended?  6-March-...  How many days did you
have in mind?
> And what should I talk about?  Hackerspaces?  How to run your own
> small business?  How to manufacture your project (and make a living
> doing what you love)?  TV-B-Gone and media literacy?  Brain Machine?
> Fuck the dominant paradigm (and create supportive community)?  How I
> went from a depressed blob of a kid to a jet-setting crazy-haired
> inventor who loves my life?  Something else (I take requests)?
I, personally am fascinated to hear about HackerSpaces in Africa.
Geeks & Depression seems
to be (for better or worse) unique to NoiseBridge?   Or is it?   I'd
like to hear about that.
All of those topics -- media literacy, Fuck the dominant paradigm (and
create supportive community) -- are right up the IMC's alley.

I have always described the MakerSpace as "an informal incubator for
radical product design",
and we have talked about what to do when a project takes on a life of
its own, goes commercial
and the Intellectual Property stops belonging to the MakerSpace
Collective and starts belonging
to the business.   It hasn't happened here yet (that we know of), but I
think it's something that
people would be interested in hearing about.

> Also, is it still OK if I borrow soldering irons and stands for
> teaching at Unit One?
Yes, we discussed it among the membership and everyone agreed that it
was a good idea.
I volunteered to transport them -- hence, the plastic bin.

Cheers,

-Stewart