[Imc-makerspace] Visit in Feb/March?

Mitch Altman mitch at CornfieldElectronics.com
Mon Jan 23 00:44:37 CST 2012

Hi Stewart,

I'd love to do a workshop at MakerSpace Urbana.  Maybe my Arduino For
Total Newbies workshop?  That one is 3 hours long.  I can teach up to 50
at once (if there are 50 soldering irons and 50 wire cutters).  And it
always fills up.  Teaching is free, materials are $35.
*     Itinerary for workshop:*

    * We will start by learning to solder. Don't let this scare you!
    I've taught well over 33,500 people to solder, many of whom have
    never made anything before in their lives. It is actually a very
    easy skill to learn. It is also very useful.
    * Very short lesson to learn everything you need to know about
    electronics!
    * Then we will each make our own Arduino clone from a kit made by
    Ladyada: BoArduino
    <http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=72>
    * Now that we each have our own Arduino, we will set up the free and
    open-source software on our laptops (if you bring one) -- Windows,
    MacOS, or Linux are all fine!
    * And then its time to make something and learn how easy it is to
    use Aruino! I'll (very easily!) show you how to read schematic
    diagrams, and you'll put together your own TV-B-Gone remote control
    using your BoArduino. We will use a solderless breadboard. These are
    really useful, and provide a fast, and very easy way to put circuits
    together without needing to solder.
    * Target practice!

Here's more info on it:
http://www.tvbgone.com/downloads/tvbg_arduino/tvbg_arduino_workshop.htm

If 3 hours is too long for folks, then I could bring a few different
kits for people to choose from to make, and I can do a "Learn to Solder,
and Learn to Make Cool Things" workshop.  Teaching is free, kits are
anywhere between $10 and $30.  Here's kits I can bring:

  * /*TV-B-Gone*/ (turn off TVs in public places!)
  * /*Brain Machine*/ (Meditate, Hallucinate, and Trip Out!)
  * /*Mignonette Game*/ (play fun games!)
  * /*Trippy RGB Waves*/ (interactive blinky lights!)
  * /*LEDcube*/ (animated 3D cube!)
  * /*MiniPOV*/ (more cool blinky lights!)
  * /*MintyBoost*/ (charge your USB enabled gadgets!)
  * /*microcontroller programmers*/ (program all your AVR family chips!)
  * /*Arduino clones*/ (make just about anything!)

I can also give a talk, if folks are interested.

I've been emailing with Jonathan Manton, who works with UofI, and who
seems to know MakerSpace folks.  He said he can scare up some soldering
irons and wire cutters.  You have some too?  You think I could borrow
them for Unit One people to use?

You think it might be cool for me to bring Unit One people to
MakerSpace, and/or also to the FabLab?

I'm excited to be there!

Cheers,
Mitch.