[Imc-makerspace] June Meeting Minutes

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 21:22:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

It was a very sparsely attended meeting Sunday, July 1 at 6:00PM

In attendance were Brian W., Barry T., Stewart D. and Andrew M., incoming
Freshman at UIUC ECE, here for registration.

We talked about Key Membership issues, didn't think we were enough of a
quorum to decide on it, but decided that we should
keep the issue on the agenda for the next meeting.

The PayPal mechanism for paying membership is better for its accounting
features than is cash membership.

We have gotten membership inquiries which run the entire gamut from "Do we
have cubicles for rent?"  to "Can I sleep here?"
and UIUC student association with the Makerspace.   There are a couple of
open communications from UIUC ECE students who
want to organize with the MakerSpace.  We need to remember to keep these
conversations going.

When I was in Santa Fe, NM June 11-13, I tried to get in touch with the
former members and organizers of Santa Fe Complex.   There were so many
reasons that SFComplex should have been *awesome*.   It was organized by
people from Los Alamos National Lab.   The problem was
that it was not membership-supported, it was grant-supported.   So when the
City of Santa Fe canceled funding for SFComplex, they had to close.

I just want to say that we are *so fortunate* to be under the umbrella of
the U-C IMC, *which owns its own building*!

Barry T. started a new job, so he is only doing Computer Help Desk on
Sundays.   Is there a way to get IMC-Tech volunteers into the
Makerspace more often than this?

Andrew M. is interested in getting involved in Makerspace projects.

We talked about getting a webcam going.  Barry said that we could post
periodically-updated stills until we have the bandwidth to stream video.

Brian W. showed us the Hive13 check-in status web application that posts
when someone has opened the space.   http://www.hive13.org

We looked at the Chumby computer board that Tokyo Hackerspace is selling to
support their move.

Fort Wayne, IN Regional Maker Faire is October 6,7

We are suggesting that the next Movie Night could be a wrap-up celebration
at the end of Summer Make-Ation.

Questions?  Comments?  Additions?  Deletions?    Send them!

Thanks,

-Stewart