[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: Joint Meeting with MakerSpace, Bike Project?

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:08:29 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Childress, Matt <childrss at illinois.edu>
Date: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: Joint Meeting with MakerSpace, Bike Project?
To: David Noreen <davidnoreen at ymail.com>, Stewart Dickson <
mathartspd at gmail.com>

 We actually have a member that has done several eBicycle as well as
gBicycle (gas bicycle) conversions.  While we’re an EV club, gas bicycles
ARE high MPG vehicles and have a significantly lower
cost-of-entry/conversion.  Other than that, the gBikes are loud and stink
and have safety issues (hot exhaust pipes).  However they are very much the
poor-man’s solution to high gas, insurance, parking.  I’ll try to get him
to the August meeting with one of his rides.

A really decent eBike conversion, assuming the donor bicycle is free will
run you about $500 to $1000 (a gBike is around $300-400).  That being said,
if you end up using it to eliminate the use of your car for most local
travel (even if it’s just on the ‘nice’ days) you’ll easily get paid back
in 2-3 years. If you work on campus and you are able to give up your
parking space because you can now park for free with the rest of the
bicycles, then the payback period is much shorter.

If you make it a folding eBike, then you can transportation mode-shift with
it: a good folding bicycle will set you back $300-600, then then $500-1000
to make it electric.  However it will go INSIDE the MTD bus system (so if
it’s raining and you need to stay dry you don’t have to fight with the
other bicyclists for the two available racks on the front), Amtrak trains
for free and potentially an airplane as checked baggage (the Lithium-Ion
battery packs may or may not be able to go with you on a plane).  At that
point you have one of the most functional forms of local transportation
combined with medium-to-long distance mass transit.

>From a maker/hacker-space perspective, there’s also the concept once you
have a decent mass of batteries on your ride of lojacking it with an
Arduino with a GPS unit and a cell phone shield so if somebody steals your
ride, you can find it and recover it…

M@****

** **