[Imc-makerspace] rfid door access ideas

J.Kahn Koontz jkahnkoontz at acm.org
Tue Jul 31 21:44:30 UTC 2012

$0.02 of experience on this.  POE and Ethernet is expensive overkill
for a system like this (cost per POE port and associated ethernet
circuitry on the PCB) unless running additional cable is prohibitive.
Something like RS485 or Wiegand, and 12-24VAC, over cheap 6 conductor
sense wire cable for HVAC systems gives all the connectivity needed
and some extra wires to boot.

Modding the doors with strike plates is the norm but they do screw up
after a while, stress on the pivot points or something. I've used
cheap china knockoffs of door mounted electronic deadbolts (Like but
not exactly http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Keyless-Door-Lock-Set/dp/B004H796C0)
where we just spliced into the existing board. It's less effort than
modifying the door frame but you get into weird things like how long
do you wait to re-extend the deadbolt and is the door closed when you
do so.  I can't find any that are reasonably priced at the moment so
maybe it's a dead end anyway. Strike Plates are probably the way to go
if possible.

-jk