[Imc-makerspace] October Membership Meeting

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 03:36:34 UTC 2012

Thanks for attending today, everyone!  Here are some notes.

Attendees: Chris, Erich, James, Stewart, Jeff, Rose, Barry, Andrew, Gergana

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- IMC Board member nominations:
       #) The IMC board is seeking people to join for next year; a board
member has mostly tasks related to keeping the IMC a viable non-profit
       #) Need to be able to attend monthly meetings (every 3rd tuesday)
       #) It's a nomination process where all current members will vote on
new members (voting will happen on Nov. 16 at the next IMC general
membership meeting)
       #) If interested, send Chris an e-mail and a short bio in the next
week or so
    -- Next week's open hours overlap with trick-or-treating hours; might
have to shorten our availability
       #) Chris has volunteered to open the space for a bit (thanks, Chris!)
    -- Due to upcoming holidays, our last membership meeting of the year
will be on Dec. 2
    -- Barry cannot make next Sunday's help desk (on Nov. 4); anyone
willing to cover for him?

*) Solidoodle update
    -- 3D printer is here!  We'll open up the printer today and James will
host a training session a week from Wednesday (Nov. 7) - stop by then if
interested in working with the printer
    -- We'll need to buy a few things in prep - Jeff will take care of
this; he has approval to spend $50 on materials
    -- James will send out materials to help us get started

*) Financial & Membership update
    -- Chris brought in reimbursement & membership forms (located in the
filing cabinet)
    -- No update on finances yet, report will be coming soon; Chris will
update the google docs collection once available
    -- We might want to consider doing a Square
subscription<https://squareup.com/>to simplify the donation process;
will also help if we want to sell
computers and other equipment
    -- Gergana and Chris will meet to come up with a plan regarding
membership requirements to present at the next monthly meeting

*) RFID lock update
    -- Parts have been ordered
    -- Brian and Erich will be getting started fairly soon; they'll notify
the list once that happens, in case others are interested in participating
in this project

*) Past events:
    -- Jimmy Rodgers @ Allen Hall: the Makerspace helped out during the
workshops while Jimmy was in town; we also provided some soldering stations
       #) A lot of fun activities - atari punk console, contact mikes, PVC
didgeridoo
    -- Sew-O-Ween: collaborated with the sewing co-op on 3 workshops to
help people with their Halloween costumes
       #) As a follow-up: would be great to have a sewing machine setup at
all times for anyone's use; will incorporate the station once we've cleaned
out the space a bit

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- December Discotech: very low key way to have 10min demos of various
technology (e.g. learn to solder, how to sign up for gmail account, how
electricity works), including some social time, food, etc.;
       #) Billy from Volo will reach out to the Boys & Girls Club to see if
we can host it there
       #) No date yet, coming soon
       #) Chris will notify the list of more details once available
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide workshops: doing this in collaboration
with the Urbana Library; scope is workshops targeted to teenagers in the
community (Jan/Feb '13 timeframe)
       #) Potential workshops: anything from Jimmy Rodgers would be nice
since the kids participating are musically-inclined
       #) Next steps: we need to write down a proposal of what we plan on
doing with the $1,000 grant and present to the Urbana Library board
       #) Jeff will setup a meeting to starting putting this proposal
together
    -- Maker Faire 2013
       #) Considering moving the faire to fall 2013 (instead of April)
       #) Chris will organize a meeting to get the planning started; if
interested, send Chris an e-mail
    -- Considering doing another sewing workshop in December; maybe sew
your own Christmas ornaments?
    -- UC2B is interested in doing a workshop; they would like some help in
distributing computers to the UC2B households and teaching them basic usage
        #) Next meeting regarding this project is Nov. 8; send Chris and
Jeff an e-mail if you'd like to participate
    -- Developing a pacing system for lap swimmers (proposed by Andrew from
Allen Hall); he's already developed the starting project and will continue
work with a grad student from the ECE department at the UofI
       #) There's interest in making this project work from some UofI groups
       #) Work for this will most likely happen next semester
       #) Andrew will let the Makerspace know once things get started
       #) If interested in working on this, keep an eye out early next year

I think that's about it.  If I missed anything, let me know.

Otherwise, see you next time!

~Gergana