[Imc-makerspace] Tell the FCC to address the high cost of prison phone calls - by March 25

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Feb 28 18:33:58 UTC 2013

Dear friends,

Tell the FCC to address the high cost of prison phone
calls<http://nationinside.org/campaign/prison-phone-justice/> -
they are taking comments until March 25th.

Local activists pressured Campaign County to end their unfair jail phone
contract in 2005 (Read the
story<http://archive.ucimc.org/127.0.0.1/newswire/display_any/26909>).
 Now people across the country are pressuring the Federal Communications
Commission to address the issue nationally.

60% of the costs of calls from prison has nothing to do with the cost of
the phone service provided. The vast majority of states receive kickbacks
from phone companies, which result in much higher phone rates.These
excessive rates further distance prisoners from their families, who can ill
afford high phone bills.

The Campaign for Prison Phone
Justice<http://nationinside.org/campaign/prison-phone-justice>is
challenging prison phone kickbacks and the U.S. Prison Telephone
Industry.  Read their update below.

Tell the FCC to address the high cost of prison phone
calls<http://nationinside.org/campaign/prison-phone-justice/> -
they are taking comments until March 25th.

thanks!
Danielle

**

February 20, 2013

Dear Supporter,

Earlier this month the Campaign for Prison Phone Justice co-hosted a public
hearing on prison telephone rates alongside Rainbow Push Coalition.
Speakers included Federal Communications Commissioner Mignon Clyburn and
founder of the Rainbow Push Coalition, Rev. Jesse Jackson. We heard
testimony from advocates, families and faith leaders on why the FCC needs
to act now to set benchmark rates for long distance interstate prison
calls. The hearing was held as part of the Wall Street Project Economic
Summit in New York City. Check out this video with highlights of some of
the testimonies delivered that day.

Between now and March 25th the FCC is accepting comments from the public on
what they should do to address the high cost of prison phone calls.  You
can make your voice heard directly from our Campaign
Website<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7P%2BJheIV1339%2FjmuRmbs6%2FHE9tIHe6oj>.
Watch the video and then Take
Action<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VREb4tae3rsRDZmesu30G%2FHE9tIHe6oj>
.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=T9ZX8NV%2Fq8ADqhmXt62spPHE9tIHe6oj>

You are subscribed to The Center for Media Justice's email list. You
can unsubscribe
here<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Q%2BmCWWngbOQt3jeN43Ssu%2FHE9tIHe6oj>
.

Privacy Policy

MAG-Net is a project of The Center for Media Justice (CMJ).  CMJ is
committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our website, as well as
that of our online action members. In general, CMJ treats your contact
information as private and confidential. CMJ will not give, sell, rent,
exchange or otherwise share your information with anyone else without your
prior consent.

     [image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>
**