[Imc-makerspace] January Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:15:44 UTC 2013

Thanks to everyone for coming tonight!  We had a good crowd going for the
meeting.  Below are some notes from our discussion.

Attendees: Elizabeth, Barry, Gergana, Jeff, Monica, James, Erich, Liz,
Lisa, Brian, Carol, Edward, Carleen

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- Our space is now awesomely clean!  Thanks to Emily for organizing
and to everyone who came to help!
       #) A short list of things left to buy; the group has approved
spending the money; *Jeff will purchase
*       #) Going forward, have designated a clipboard sheet where new
Makerspace needs will be recorded; the group will review the list at each
monthly membership meeting
    -- Shared Threads is now official on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/groups/136936266469017/>
       #) *Jeff to add link* on Makerspace page
       #) For now, Shared Threads are an offshoot of the Makerspace; will
review how they want to be recognized after the workshop trial in about 6
months
    -- General Announcement: Please lock the doors on your way out to
maintain building security
    -- Potential funding venues:
       #) James and Erich will be selling some of the Siemens PLCs on Ebay
       #) Makerspace will be at the zine fest and will have a table to sell
some of the old equipment; should consider doing a quarterly clean-up to
decide on what to keep/sell/throw away

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Lease renewal for the Makerspace
    -- Google Analytics review
       #) Chris was awesome enough to provide Analytics data for all
traffic<https://docs.google.com/file/d/1Rhuoo_mQ6vAWcRVeWfPuT0j2ndBKdTNu2qThfNzSORCSbsPjLfDccbqFe2dc/edit>,
sub-pages<https://docs.google.com/file/d/1d6X7BIC4A9tqMEuNVEJ2Q5e-PTZ_FWyp3mgCz80msS-46RIhItgu1w2NtF0_/edit>,
and referral traffic<https://docs.google.com/file/d/1pYLuqxJZyMAvqgnW0jDzuGL5ZZ-XS6jriDYVkwWubQ4hz2KoBDy08hf_5ylD/edit>
.
       #) *James will look* at referral pages (e.g. hackerspaces.org) and
validate the MU info/links there
    -- Square account/online payment options
       #) Thanks to Erich for doing all this research!  Seems like our top
choices are Square <https://squareup.com/> & Stripe <https://stripe.com/>
       #) Square: cannot setup recurring payments, can only swipe, 2.5%+fee
per transaction
       #) Stripe: cannot swipe, but can do recurring payments, 2.75%+30
cents per transactions
       #) Our use cases are: for workshops/on-the-spot donations and for
monthly dues; might have to do both
       #) *Erich will continue* to research, send pros/cons & required
hardware/sw for each; group will make a decision at the next meeting

*) RFID lock update
    -- Now meeting every Tuesday to write the code
    -- Might have a prototype in the next month or so
    -- Check out software that sends notifications if people are in the
space, during workshops, etc.

*) Past events:
    -- Movie Night (Dec. 14) - watched "Die Hard"
    -- Fiber splitting workshop, hosted by Billy; will be doing this every
week during Wed open hours

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (The Urbana Free Library Edition)
       #) Thursdays in Feb and start of March @ 3:30pm
       #) First workshop is Feb. 7 to focus on how to solder - will start
on blinky badges and make contact mikes; Erich is interested in teaching
       #) More info available
here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jjHo-36pd4nz2AK8FomJBCLFxY75uCFi6Ls8wwF2cKk/edit>;
e-mail Jeff if interested
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (Bethel Church Edition)
       #) No word from the pastor on whether we have extra money for
monitors
       #) Possible that some GSLIS people will be interested in taking this
over; *Chris to check*
    -- Discotech (Jan/Feb '13 timeframe): no update
    -- Girls do Science group @ the Orpheum (Feb/March '13 timeframe): no
update
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (Sept 21)
       #) No on Douglas Branch library location; thinking of sticking with
the IMC
       #) Still waiting on word re: funding from Urbana Arts Grant
    -- Solidoodle workshops (monthly?)
       #) Decided on an hour before the monthly membership meeting
       #) James has a rough flyer outline; Carleen can provide some much
needed design help
    -- Shared Threads monthly workshops
       #) Feb. 23 - recycle and refashion, taught by Lisa
       #) March 30? - making your clothes/gear reflective, collab with Bike
Project
       #) April 20? - traditional sew stuff for your bike, projects of
different difficulty level
       #) May - tote bag making, tie in with opening of farmer's market
       #) Considering giving ~20% of donations to Makerspace to cover space
costs
    -- Stage props for play - request by Snow Leopard
       #) No interest so far; *Gergana will reply* to Snow and recommend he
stops by the space
    -- Makerspace live streaming for
CHAOS<https://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/wiki/C.H.A.O.S>
       #) No interest for now and no webcam setup

Let me know if I missed anything.  See guys guys around!

~Gergana