[Imc-makerspace] Review of MU membership levels

elizaBeth Simpson elizacorps at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 03:51:45 UTC 2013

Hi peeps,

My 5 cents- take it or leave it...

There are two, really different things happening:
- membership (for services/access)
- membership (for fundraising)

The second one is WAY more important and effective, because if you
encourage people to consider what they're personally getting out of it,
they do a personal value-analysis, rather than a social one. (e.g. it is
worth it to me, rather than is it worth it to the community) Otherwise, you
have to keep 'selling' a product (they're doing you a favor by giving
money), instead of giving people the opportunity to support something that
they think is rad but aren't getting around to doing themselves (we're
doing them a favor).

A lot of the 'benefits' folks get isn't direct, but is through the glory of
making such a space possible. So, the publicity is something like: when you
pledge $10 a month, you're making BLAH possible. When you pledge $50 a
month, you're making BLAH possible. And by the way, a one time donation of
BLAH makes BLAH possible.

Then, there's direct services, like access to special tools (3-d printer?)
, discounts on workshops, access to brainpower (tech desk.) But I'd say
wrap this into the frame of being a supporter- keeping it tied to something
larger than oneself= more meaning= deeper commitment.

So... a first MAJOR step is to brainstorm: what are all the benefits that
MSU affords to someone, and to the community at large? What can people do
in or because of this space? What does the community have because of the
space or MSU in general?

This gets back to sustainer levels. At one point we talked about
metaphors/names and benefits like:
- Novice Supporter: One-time donation $5-100
Makerspace pin, thanks on website

- Apprentice Supporter $10/month or $120
above plus MSU member card and dibs on workshops

- Journeyman Supporter $25/month or $300
above plus 3-D printer training/access

- Master Supporter $50/month or $600
above plus 24-hour access (can be gifted)

- Guild Steward $100/month or $1200
above plus discount on workshops/dibs on workshop space

Then, next step is to brainstorm the audiences for those offers- who cares
about that stuff? Then the outreach gets directed accordingly. For example,
the teachers union might not care about coming themselves, but might want
there to be an learning/working space. They'll support the space in
general, if there's an option to do so.

About open hours: At the same time it's going to be way more effective
overall to fundraise for open hours than to charge for it, it's really
important to have a BIG sign saying 'you're welcome, but also it costs us
to have this space, so please throw down". Otherwise people just assume
it's subsidized somehow.

On the sweat-equity note: In my organizing experience across many
communities, it's only people with money who insist they don't have any
(lots of times actual poor folks pay while middle-class folks take the free
options- it's a dignity/entitlement thing) so I'd recommend that even the
sweat-equity folks make some small contribution (like $25 a year?) It's not
like MSU doesn't actually have to pay bills. Also, everyone should be
putting work into the space, otherwise it does this weird thing where
people can pay their way out of not doing the important
support/infrastructure work.

This is a lot of blahblah on my part... If it ever makes sense I can just
do a big Q&A about outreach/fundraising. I can't do an ongoing committee
thing because of school, but I have LOTS of resources on this stuff, and
can do one-time projects (like revise/primp an outreach letter) And, all
this can be ignored, too, with my ego intact! My areas of expertise
include: outreach, marketing, public relations, fundraising, event
planning, group dynamics/conflict resolution, social identity stuff (how
not to be a patriarchal racist classist able-ist group),

On a related note... did the question of how people can donate get answered
(sorry if I'm just way out of the loop- I am one of the people who would
like to make a donation and don't know how to do it). I know there were
concernd of through imc/not through imc and stripe v. paypal etc.

Be well,
ezB

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Gergana Slavova <
gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Please review the proposal outlining the Makerspace membership levels<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pMP65IULbQIcNISk9h5XsJZ8jGvzaEKitZ3ue496n_c/edit>.
> We will be discussing this during our monthly meeting this Sunday and I'd
> like to have a final decision regarding membership we can post on our
> website.
>
> If you have any comments, now's the time to speak up.
>
> ~Gergana

217-344-8324 landline (better for talking)
217-979-2820 cell

The bad news is you're falling through the air, nothing to hang on to, no
parachute. The good news is, there's no ground. - Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

learn about my latest initiative:
Art from the Streets!
www.ucpeopleshistory.org

Please make a donation to support future posters:
www.tinyurl.com/ucphdonation