[Imc-makerspace] October Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 04:46:22 UTC 2013

Thanks for everyone's attendance today!  A small but lively group.  Here
are a few notes.

Attendees: Liz, Emily, Lisa, Barry, Stewart, Elizabeth, Gergana, Ramsey,
Erich, Brian Walker

*) Opens
     -- Cross-posting to IMC Facebook page and calendar: any update?
         $) Jeff has permissions for IMC FB; no news on IMC calendar (*
Gergana* to follow-up with Danielle)
    -- Noisebridge Anti-harassment policy: discussion & vote
          $) Unanimous vote "yes" on implementing the policy
         $) Next steps: post policy on webpage; print and post in the space
    -- Mailing list move to @makerspaceurbana.org: discussion & vote
         $) Still researching; will discuss again next month
    -- Google Glass: sharing and donations
         $) Nominated for and purchased Google Glass
         $) Liz covered finances initially but need to pay her back if MU
wants to use Glass as a shared tool
         $) Jenny from Google is giving us $200 - to be marked for Google
Glass payment
         $) Will also setup a Square payment specific for Google glass
funds - members interested in donating, can do so at the next Open Hours;
         $) Will also send out an e-mail request to our general membership
+ Py-CU in the next week
         $) If have not reached the $1,600 goal by end of week, will
follow-up with other Labs in town (e.g. FabLab, MakerLab, etc.)
     -- New keyholding member nomination: Ramsey.  Approved, no
objections.  Welcome, Ramsey!

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Current financial status
         $) Square/Stripe account update (Erich)
          $) Defining membership levels (Emily) - Review
proposal<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pMP65IULbQIcNISk9h5XsJZ8jGvzaEKitZ3ue496n_c/edit?usp=sharing>before
meeting
              #) Good discussion but still need to polish the wording
              #) Current proposal is basically: $20 or $10/month, or sweat
equity in the form of 4hrs/month
              #) Emily will update document and send for another review
     -- Help Desk
         $) Update on Acorn Media proposal
              #) Spreadsheet ready, will get a proposal done within the
next month
    -- Funding ideas
         $) Selling bike light cross-stitch kits on Etsy: no update
         $) Will ask keyholding members to donate more per month temporarily
              #) Passed around Square for member dues at meeting (good
practice for future)
         $) Will also do a general ask of anyone who has ever visited the
space to donate in mid-October
         $) Food Co-op round-up monthly donation: no update
         $) Py-CU workshop
         $) Yahoo! Employee Foundation (YEF) funding
               #) Emily working on proposal; could potentially fund
Make-a-tion 2014
         $) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next to
the donation jar

*) RFID lock project: no update

 *) Py-CU
    -- Great beginner tutorial series with excellent attendance!
    -- The Py-CU group to discuss if and how they'd like to be associated
with MU and update us next month

*) Past events:
    -- Hosting Google Glasses hangout (Sun, Oct. 13, 1-4pm)
    -- Monthly "Welcome to 3D printing" workshop (Colten)
    -- Sew-O-Ween (Oct. 16, 19, 26): come work on your Halloween costume!
    -- Makerspace Open House (Friday, Oct. 25, 9:30pm)

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Space Jamboree <http://spacejamboree.com/> participation (Brian)
         $) Annual high tech Merit badge workshops for Boy & Girls Scouts
in early August
         $) Offers STEM-focused events in a variety of fields (aerospace,
robots, blacksmiths, cinematography, etc)
         $) Has excellent connections and wide reach within the Midwest
         $) Looking for a collaboration with MU to teach arduino/robots
class, as well as 3D printing
         $) Could potentially invest in a long-time partnership with
skills-for-gear exchange
         $) MU will discuss internally and get back to Brian soon
    -- IEEE's Projects Fair (Friday, Nov. 1, noon-4pm)
         $) Will have table to showcase MU projects; if you want to
volunteer, contact Jeff
     -- 3D Scanning workshop: no update
    -- Urbana Free Library workshops: no update
    -- Potential Orpheum workshops (Gergana): no update
    -- Glass bead workshop (Dena): Talking to Dena now; waiting on
availability dates
         $) Could potentially combine with another sewing ornaments
workshop in early Dec
    -- A workshop with close-by makerspaces: no update
    -- Aromatherapy workshop with the food co-op (Emily): no update
    -- Thai Media Activist collaboration (Nov. 6)
         $) Sarinee Achavanuntakul, Director of ThaiRepublica & Thai
Netizen Network <https://thainetizen.org/> visiting IMC
         $) Seems interesting depending on what we need to do; *Gergana* to
follow-up with Danielle
    -- UCIMC General Membership Meeting & Potluck (Sat, Nov. 16, 5-7pm)
         $) Jeff will be the MU delegate
    -- IEEE Intro to arduino/robotics workshops
         $) MU will organize an arduino robotics workshop for IEEE members
         $) Currently looking at Nov. 15/16
         $) *Jeff* to send out an e-mail once more details are available
    -- CUDO is having an event on Nov. 17th at the IMC
         $) Should have MU open house for visitors at that time

I think that's it.  If I missed anything, just reply here.

~Gergana