[Imc-makerspace] [OTI] Story of the Noisebridge anti-harassment policy

Darby Hickey darbyhickey at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Sep 27 17:20:12 UTC 2013

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing and full support! I
especially like how they tweaked the language that seemed to have been used
again Violet Blue re: sexual imagery/language -- "Sexual language and
imagery should be only be used for positive purposes."

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Chris Ritzo <critzo at chambana.net> wrote:

> On Thu 26 Sep 2013 07:22:30 PM EDT, Dan Staples wrote:
> > https://plus.google.com/110222380410616419949/posts/5517czLTefa
> >
> > I personally had no idea the degree to which misogyny had gone unchecked
> > at Noisebridge, I had only heard positive things about the space.
> > Perhaps that's telling about how uncritical many tech/hacker spaces are
> > about sexism and harassment, and how male-dominated they are. We should
> > really show these awesome feminist hackers some support.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Thanks for sharing this Dan. I agree about supporting NB in enacting
> the policy, no doubt it's needed. One of the things I loved about
> Makerspace Urbana was that members actively work to make the space a
> safe, welcoming to everyone with direct outreach to kids, families,
> communities of color and people of all gender identities. It takes
> work, struggle, ability to be uncomfortable yourself and engage with
> people who do crap like this, and address it.
>
> Also, I kind of feel like folks who think that consensus spaces don't
> need a structure to enact individual and group accountability, haven't
> really had to deal with situations where people disrespected the space,
> the people in it, or the agreed upon mores of the group. It's a lot
> harder to be accountable to one another in a collective than to simply
> issue platitudes and expect that to magically get people to respect one
> another.
>
> -Chris

Darby Hickey
Program Associate, Open Technology Institute
New America Foundation
202-596-3415
oti.newamerica.net