[Imc-makerspace] Public Engagement Grant w/ DFA: First Meeting

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:25:59 EDT 2014

Hi everyone!

Exciting news. The UIUC DFA <http://designforamerica.com/> group was
awarded a grant to do workshops with Makerspace Urbana and our first
planning meeting with DFA has been set. So if your interested in having
input on the workshops and activities they are planning, please join us:

When: April 19th
Where: Art and Design Building Rm 331 (408 E Peabody Dr. Champaign)
Who: Any makers interested in helping plan some awesome activities,
including some geared towards making novel inventions and hacks to tackle
contemporary social issues within the community and beyond

And here is a little background on the how this came about just in case you
haven't heard:

*"Design for America (DFA) UIUC. DFA <http://designforamerica.com/> is a
network of student run design studios that seek to use human centered
design to solve problems within the community. A faculty member from the
Department of Computer Science , Karrie Karahalios
<http://social.cs.uiuc.edu/people/kkarahal.html> has recommended DFA apply
for University of Illinois Public Engagement Grant ($1500) to use design as
an outreach tool to the community. She has volunteered to be the faculty
advisor. What DFA is proposing is a series of workshops from DFA to teach
human-centered design methodologies to the members of Makerspace Urbana.
The $1500 will be used to bring in design thinking speakers, host workshops
base on design thinking processes and will be geared towards making novel
inventions and hacks to tackle contemporary social issues within the
community and beyond. We are thinking also partnering experienced DFAers to
co-collaborate in these projects."*

Please email me if you know you can make it so we can know to expect you.

Thanks, and feel free to email me if you have any questions!
  Jeff

--
Jeffrey Putney
Senior Software Engineer