[Imc-makerspace] February Membership Meeting, Sunday (2/23) @ 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 03:39:55 UTC 2014

Thanks for coming tonight, everyone!  Here are a few notes of our
discussions.

Attendees: Jeff, Liz, Emily, Tim, Barry, Stewart, Monica, Gergana, Jacob,
Colten

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- Mailing list move to @makerspaceurbana.org
     -- Google Glass update
         $) Liz will be working on setting up a workshop with the Glass
    -- Clean-up signs put up in the space!
    -- News-Gazette article on the Makerspace!
    -- Purchase an iRecycle battery
kit<http://www.batteryrecycling.com/Products/195/373/iRecycle+Kits/iRecycle+Kit+35>
         $) Decided not to do this; Barry has agreed to drop batteries off
at a local recycling center
    -- Getting a table saw?
         $) No table saw yet, waiting on specs

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Financial status
         $) Current at around $1000 (including the Google Glass
reimbursement)
         $) Stripe account update (Erich): no update
          $) Membership levels: now posted on website (thanks, Emily)!
    -- Funding ideas
         $) Selling bike light cross-stitch kits on Etsy: no major update
         $) Will also do a general ask of anyone who has ever visited the
space
         $) Food Co-op round-up monthly donation: hold off until summer
         $) Py-CU workshop
         $) Yahoo! Employee Foundation (YEF) funding: still working on it
         $) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next to
the donation jar
          $) Should we have a wider range of soldering kits?
               #) Yes, group approves spending $100 on more kits (from
AdaFruit)
               #) *Jeff *will get that rolling (can combine AdaFruit order
with others)
         $) Funding from Acorn Media for Help Desk: no update
         $) Awesome Foundation grant (for TUFL workshops?)
               #) Gergana and Emily to work on that
         $) 3D printing keychains for a $1
         $) We should have a list of 3D printer usage rules (including
donation amounts)
               #) Colten to get that done, no update

*) Help Desk: staying busy, volunteer has been working out great

*) RFID lock project: no update

  *) Py-CU
    -- Still working on the WIT open house, finalized on date
    -- Continue brainstorming on potential projects

*) Past events:
    -- Py-CU's first year anniversary (Saturday, Feb. 1, 6-9pm)
    -- Mitch Altman's Cool Kits workshop @ MU (Saturday, Feb. 15, 2-5pm)
    -- Electric Waste Orchestra concert (Thursday, Feb. 20, 7-9pm)
    -- UIUC Fine Arts class visit @ MU (Friday, Feb. 21, 8-9:30pm)
    -- Saturday Open Hours (Saturday, Feb. 22, 11am-4pm)
          $) Good turn-out, should consider doing this regularly

 *) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Hardware Freedom Day <http://www.hfday.org/> (Saturday, March 15)
           $) MU interested in participating, working on an Arduino
workshop + Open Hours (11am-4pm)
           $) *Gergana* to sign MU up
    -- Zine Reading event with Tomas of Rad Dad (Monday, March 17)
           $) Might be a better fit for the Zine library?
           $) *Gergana* to reply and get him in touch with Emily
    -- Family Science Day @ Redbird Arena, Normal, IL (Saturday, April 5,
2014, 11am-4pm)
    -- MU table @ Midwest Zine Fest (Saturday, April 12, 2014)
    -- MU table @ Champaign Public Library's 2014 Home School Fair
(Saturday, April 19, 10am-noon)
           $) Will also participate in a panel about making
    -- MU hosting a Cadet Girl Scout troop (potential Saturday)
    -- PyCU's Women's IT and Computing Open House (Saturday, May 31, 1-4pm)
    -- 4th Annual UC Mini Maker Faire (Saturday, Sept. 13)
    -- Space Jamboree <http://spacejamboree.com/> participation (Brian): no
update
    -- Arduino Workshop - sometime in March?
           $) Perfect event for the Hardware Freedom Day (March 15)
      -- Potential Orpheum workshops (Gergana)
           $) Colten is meeting with the education coordinator at the
Orpheum on Wed during Open Hours
    -- Glass bead workshop (Dena): no update
    -- Aromatherapy workshop with the food co-op (Emily)
           $) Not happening, seems to be a misunderstanding
    -- Urbana's Market @ the Square; Art @ the Market
           $) *Jeff* will ping the new organizer of Art @ the Market
    -- Skot from UIUC's ECE dept wants to do a 60 note polyphonic analog
synthesizer workshop: no update
    -- Presentation/Visit from a new Bloomington hackerspace
           $) We should invite them to the March 15 workshop
    -- Questionnaire from UIUC student re: Makerspace Urbana
           $) Anyone wants to fill it out?  Stewart will do it.
    -- Potential sewing workshops with Shared Threads
           $) *Monica*'s working on it

*) Other things of interest:
    -- Inclusions & Exclusions Reading Group (Wednesday, Feb. 26, 12-1pm @
GSLIS 341)
          $) Dr. Kate Clancy's Women in Science: Welcome but Not
Welcome<http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/context-and-variation/2014/01/14/women-in-science-welcome-but-not-welcome/>blog
post

That should be it.  If anything else, just drop a note here.

~Gergana