[Imc-makerspace] Update Concerning Midwest Zine Festival - Postponement

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 17:36:46 UTC 2014

IMC Friends, Zinesters, and Activists:

Some of you have been getting word about our upcoming Midwest Zine Fest
originally scheduled for April 19th, 2014. *This email is to inform you
that after some discussion, Jessie Shoraga (UCIMC Zine Librarian) and
myself (I serve as the IMC's Programming Chair of the Board) have decided
to postpone the Midwest Zine Fest until fall to allow us more time to
develop the festival.*

 Part of this decision comes from recognizing time constraints, but another
piece of this decision comes from wanting to build a zine festival that
successfully builds community, becoming a zinefest that centers zinesters
of color and zines that do political work, makes the fest and zine-making
more accessible to immigrants, ESL speakers, and folks with disabilities,
and has focused activities for youth (i.e. a youth track). We've been in
contact with People of Color Zine Project (POCZP) regarding these efforts
and are currently reaching out to local queer/trans*, immigrant,
disability, and POC-led organizations to make this happen.

We realized that our time constraints would make these goals unattainable
as we know there is much work to be done to build the fest we desire. *We
are currently looking into a new fall date (taking input from the UC
community calendars and other zine festivals and IMC festivals) and will
announce this new date as soon as we have it. *

 *IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE INVOLVED:*

   - Add your name, information, and some ways you'd like to be involved to
   this spreadsheet:
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaaB6hyHNGCdFhpMjg5anl4TktsNUU1Y1RFY0pBZUE#gid=0

   - *If your organization would like to help sponsor MWZF 2014 *Email me (
   rachelstrm at gmail.com) to let me know that your organization would like
   to sponsor! We're looking for financial support, donations of tables,
   organizations to create zines and table with them, volunteer support, etc!

We look forward to building a zine fest that continues to build upon those
of the past few years and working with you all to make that possible! If
you are receiving this email and don't know a) what a zine is and b) how
you'd like to be involved, feel free to contact me or Jessie to learn more.

Warmly,
Rachel