[Imc-makerspace] October Membership Meeting [Sunday, Oct 26 @ 6pm]

Emily Knox emilyknox at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 23:37:02 EDT 2014

Notes below:

October 26, 2014

Attendees: Emily, Jeff, John, Elizabeth, Monica, Gergana

*) Opens

    -- Post a list of workshops on the website

*) Membership/Financial Update

 -- Financial status and future plans

-we are okay financially, IMC is working on getting statements with
rollovers

      $) Create a committee to work on expansion plans [on hold post-Maker
Fest]

-We need people to be on this committee - Emily will do the call and define
the committee

 -- Funding ideas

      $) Selling bike light cross-stitch kits on Etsy

-nothing on that

      $) Will also do a general ask of anyone who has ever visited the space

-Emily will send this out on October 27, 2014

      $) Awesome Foundation grant (for TUFL workshops?)

-nothing

         $) 3D printing keychains for a $1: have a prototype of a squirrel
with a ring or a gyroscope

-next time we table, print some up

      $) Maybe do a Raspberry pi workshop kit (plus keyboard, mouse, HDMI
cable) and have it available for rent

-John would like to do a workshop for this, maybe as part of
chambana.net/sysadmin

      $) Create signs for:

  #) 3D printer usage rules (including donation amounts) with 3 options:
$1, $3, $5

-not finished

           #) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next to
the donation jar

-not yet

           #) Listing of membership levels

           #) Better signs for snacks/soda

-make document for text for the signs - Monica

         $) Request to partner with Info City CU
<http://infocitycu.net/about/>

 -- New equipment

      $) Acquired: We got a new serger!

      $) Wanted: extra folding card table

-John will donate a table that he has

*) Help Desk

*) RFID lock project

-Jeff will email Austin about this

*) Py-CU

-Liz is gone so Elizabeth is now the contact

-Last workshop is on Monday night

-Slightly fewer people coming to Hack Nights

-CPL now charging $10 per hour for meeting room

-Three different options on the table - will probably ask for $10/month
from members

-Google Glass - decision needs to be made by Nov. 15

*) Chambana.net transition

-will start workshops in November

-will add on Raspberry Pi to Computer Basics workshops

-Apply to the Awesome Foundation grant for kits?

*) Past events:

 -- Bethany from Bloomington Children's Discovery Museum will be meeting
with MU and FabLab to talk about their new Makerspace

    -- UIUC NSBE "When I grow up, I want to be an engineer" event (Thurs,
Oct 2, 4-5:30pm)

    -- MU hosts CIGG Workshop (Thurs, Oct. 9, 6-7:30pm)

 -- Clean-up day (Oct. 3, 7-9pm)

 -- DFA workshop I & II (Oct. 4 & 25, 1-3pm)

 -- International Day of the Girl (Saturday, Oct. 11, 9am-noon)

 -- 2014 Heartland Maker Fest (Saturday, Oct. 18, all day)

 -- Urbana Free Library Zombie Prom (Friday, Oct. 24)

*) Upcoming/potential events:

 -- Sew-O-Ween 2014 (Oct. 22, 25, and 29)

    -- Community Arts Forum panel (Saturday, Nov. 8, 8am-1pm)

 -- Google Glass workshop (Nadia)

 -- Saturday Open Hours rotation (11am - 1pm): sign up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050845ADAC23AA8-makerspace>!

 -- DFA workshop III & IV (November + Dec. 6, 1-3pm)

 -- ISU Family Science Day (Sat, April 11 '15, noon-5pm)

*) Other things of interest:

 -- China Hacker Trip w/ Mitch Altman (Jeff will be going - leaves on
Saturday - comes back on 11/24, #httc2014)

September 7, 2014

Emily, Danielle, Gary (IMC Board), Jeff, Jacob, Barry, Holly

Gary

-IMC board is in discussions with the post office, 10 year rent over,
doesn’t want to lose the post office for the community but would like the
space

-board is coming up with ways to use the space

-have the projects in the basement move to the big space upstairs

-also have possibility for retail space

-discussions with the city for upgrading the building, IMC would do the
inside

-Questions

-square footage?

-copies of plans and rental costs