[Imc-makerspace] August Membership Meeting [Sunday, Sept 7 @ 6pm]

Emily Knox emilyknox at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:33:08 EDT 2014

Hi, everyone,

Notes from tonight's meeting are below:

Emily, Danielle, Gary (IMC Board), Jeff, Jacob, Barry, Holly

Gary

-IMC board is in discussions with the post office, 10 year rent over,
doesn’t want to lose the post office for the community but would like the
space

-board is coming up with ways to use the space

-have the projects in the basement move to the big space upstairs

-also have possibility for retail space

-discussions with the city for upgrading the building, IMC would do the
inside

-Questions

-square footage?

-copies of plans and rental costs

*) Opens

    -- Post a list of workshops on the website - no

*) Membership/Financial Update

 -- Financial status and future plans - will post later when I get them

      $) Create a committee to work on expansion plans - wait until after
Maker Fest

 -- Funding ideas

      $) Selling bike light cross-stitch kits on Etsy - still working on
this

$) Will also do a general ask of anyone who has ever visited the space -
look at last emails re sending this

      $) Py-CU workshop (on hold until August) - need to find out what’s
happening with this

      $) Awesome Foundation grant (for TUFL workshops?)

         $) 3D printing keychains for a $1: have a prototype of a squirrel
with a ring - still working on this

      $) Maybe do a Raspberry pi workshop kit (plus keyboard, mouse, HDMI
cable) and have it available for rent - still need to work on this

      $) Create signs for: - Jeff will work on this

           #) 3D printer usage rules (including donation amounts) with 3

           #) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next to
the donation jar

           #) Listing of membership levels

           #) Better signs for snacks/soda

      $) Manning Publications is donating us tech books! - Yay!

      $) DrumLight
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/170226241/drumlight-a-light-for-your-drums>
fundraising opportunity

*) Help Desk

 -- Urbana Free Library computer donation - IMC Board is in charge of this

*) RFID lock project - nothing

*) Py-CU - no updates

*) Chambana.net transition - Emily will email Chris to get in touch with
the people who are interested

*) Past events:

 -- Summer Make-a-tion 2014 Attendees:

1. Knitting - 4

2. Wands- 11

3. Tablet Case - 2

4. Cross Stitch - 3

5. Soldering I - 4

6. Soldering II - 3

7. 3D Printing I - 4

8. 3D Printing II - 3

 -- Innovation Living-Learning Community workshop (Thurs, Aug 21, 3pm) -
went great!  20 freshman, polish up the kit and put it on website

 -- Pride Fest (Saturday, Sept. 6) - sign-up for a slot
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044eaea629a6fa7-pride/19329605>! - had a
lot of people stop by

*) Upcoming/potential event

 -- Summer Make-a-tion 2014: arduinos and beer/mead brewing - We can do
this, Arduinos on the 13th, Beer brewing September 27th

 -- MU hosts CIGG Workshop (Thurs, Oct. 9, 6-7:30pm) - will check blinky
badges

 -- International Day of the Girl (Saturday, Oct. 11) - happening at the
IMC, looking for volunteers

 -- IL Library Association Conf 2014 in Springfield, IL (Oct. 16, noon -
2pm) - none of us can go, need to reply, post on Central Illinois Google
Group

 -- 2014 Heartland Maker Fest (Saturday, Oct. 18) - meeting on Thursday

 -- Google Glass workshop (Liz)

 -- Saturday Open Hours rotation (11am - 1pm): sign up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050845ADAC23AA8-makerspace>! - Emily will
send out emails

 -- Another clean-up day: tentative for Aug. 10  - Scheduled for October 4

 -- DFA workshop - Emily will respond

 -- Discovery Center Museum in Rockford, IL (Aug 23 - Jan 4)

 -- UIUC NSBE "When I grow up, I want to be an engineer" event -

-Vote for getting a multi die button maker passed.  Emily will get it when
she is back in town.

*) Other things of interest:

 -- Des Moines Mini Maker Faire <http://desmoinesmakerfaire.com/>

 -- People of Color-led Makerspace/Hackerspace kickstarter
<https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/people-of-color-led-makerspace-and-hackerspace>

 -- MicroHouse Workshop - Open Source Extreme Manufacturing
<http://opensourceecology.org/microhouse-workshop-4/> (Sept 25-30 in Kansas
City)

 -- Volunteers needed for Bike Project Light the Night 2014
<http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-the-night-2014> (Sept 11, 4-7pm)

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Gergana Slavova <gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com