[Imc-makerspace] #DontBlockMyInternet Action in Champaign

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Feb 18 19:03:01 EST 2015

Makerspace members,

After getting 7 million comments from the public - including 1 million
calls and email in 2015 alone, the FCC has agreed to make rules for the
internet that keep the cable companies from making fast and slow lanes (and
putting sites like Makerspace and UCIMC in the slow lane!)

Unfortunately, the cable companies are pushing back. So we are rallying
this Saturday to say: #DontBlockMyInternet as part of national actions
sponsored by Free Press, Move On, Color of Change, and others.

Please join us and pass on the word. Weather will be nice and warmer than
it has been :)

Danielle

<-- please forward -->

*#DontBlockMyInternet Action in Champaign*
Saturday, February 21st, Noon - 1pm
AT&T store 1902 North Prospect Avenue, Champaign, IL 61822 (in front of
Lowe's)
*RSVP Now
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dontblockmyinternet-rally-in-champaign-urbana-tickets-15751986616>*

We are in a countdown towards the passage of Internet rules that will keep
the Internet open for generations to come -- and we couldn't be happier.
The FCC is about to do the right thing and vote to reclassify the Internet
as a public utility at its next meeting on February 26th.

But the cable companies are pushing back and doing everything in their
power to block our success.

Our lives depend on an open Internet. Movements like #BlackLivesMatter,
#Not1More, and #Fightfor15 all rely on the open Internet to mobilize a
powerful public voice against police brutality, deportation, and for the
rights of low-wage workers. Artists and musicians need the internet to show
and distribute their work. And poor communities rely on the internet to
find jobs, apply for food stamps, and meet their basic needs.

That's why the Media Action Grassroots Network and our partners are hosting
actions across the country to say to Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and Time
Warner: #DontBlockMyInternet

Join the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center of the Media Action
Grassroots Network, CU Citizens for Peace and Justice along with our
national partners: Color of Change, Presente, 18 Million Rising, Free
Press, Move On, Fight for the Future, Demand Progress, Popular Resistance,
Occupy.com
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FOccupy.com%2F&h=1AQF3FM55&enc=AZM2K5zTKu_tm67siFXau_qMdGjuBb2exCGfAPJKtXTpzpu7GJxCem5cf-kxeuGTpqY&s=1>,
and the Backbone Campaign.

*What*: We will have a peaceful rally and speakout to tell the cable
giants: #DontBlockMyInternet, stop derailing democracy and stop fighting
net neutrality rules.

*Where*: AT&T store 1902 North Prospect Avenue, Champaign, IL 61822 (in
front of Lowe's)

*When*: Saturday, February 21st, Noon - 1pm

*RSVP* here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dontblockmyinternet-rally-in-champaign-urbana-tickets-15751986616>