[Imc-makerspace] January Membership Meeting [Jan 25 Minutes]

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 20:19:23 EST 2015

Attendees:  Barry, Star, Jeff, Gergana, Dena, Billy, Elizabeth, Nadia,
Emily, Tom, Stewart, Steve

Agenda:

*) Opens
     -- Post instructubles for workshops on the website: no update
          $) Create instructional video for using our equipment (e.g.
embroidery machine)
     -- Heartland Maker Fest 2014 t-shirts available for sale ($12)
     -- MU domain names renewed and website moved to faster server (thanks,
Jeff!)
          $) Should use contact at makerspaceurbana.org for our business card
     -- Our own Monica Carr is now on the IMC board (yay, Monica!)
*) Membership/Financial Update
     -- Welcome new members: Dena, Tom, Star!
     -- Financial status and future plans
          $) We are at +$3k at the end of 2014, will create a Q1 budget: *Emily
to create and send out*
          $) Expansion committee: successfully achieved $500/month level of
sustainers, still waiting on IMC regarding plans for upstairs
     -- Funding ideas
          $) Maybe do a Raspberry pi workshop kit (plus keyboard, mouse,
HDMI cable) and have it available for rent
              #) Will do chambana.net/sysadmin workshop (Feb 21, 1-3pm)
              #) Need to create rules for using/checking out the raspberry
pi kits
          $) Create signs for:
              #) 3D printer usage rules (including donation amounts) with 3
              #) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next
to the donation jar
              #) Listing of membership levels
              #) Better signs for snacks/soda
              #) *Emily to own this with Jeff H.*
          $) Grants
              #) Sparks! Ignition: good for the Urbana Free Library in
collab with MU
              #) Education Dev & Stimulus Fund: requires purchasing
specific equipment, MU might not be well-suited
              #) Awesome Foundation grant (for TUFL workshops?): Gergana,
Emily, and Stewart to take a look
     -- New equipment
          $) Acquired: New sewing machine and a new embroidery machine!
          $) Wanted: MU tablecloth, lock box
               #) Can designate the next sewing night for the MU tablecloth
project
               #) Need to create a special lock box with cash drop-in;
*Barry will work on this*
*) Help Desk
     -- TUFL computer donation (60 machines): still in limbo, talk to Barry
directly if you want to help with this
          $) Talk to Monica so she can bring this up at the next IMC board
meeting
     -- Pretty busy last week, we have several computers for sale
*) RFID lock project
     -- Interface is done, we have the lock; unclear on what's missing - *Nadia
to update Jeff on status*
*) Py-CU
     -- Switched monthly meeting location back to Makerspace, Elizabeth
will put upcoming meetings on the calendar
*) Chambana.net
     -- Ran an event over the weekend, pretty successful, made a new
machine for the space
*) Past events:
     -- Chambana.net workshop #1: SCOT (Sat, Dec. 13, 1-3pm)
     -- Makerspace 5 Year Anniversary Party (Mon, Dec. 15, 7-9pm)
     -- New Year's Day Open Hours (Thurs, Jan. 1, 1-4pm)
     -- Chambana.net workshop #2: Build a computer (Sat, Jan. 24, 1-3pm)
     -- SCA+MU Glass & Fire workshop (Sun, Jan. 25, 1-5pm): really
successful, had 16 people in the beginners workshop
*) Upcoming/potential events:
     -- Katazome and Tsutsugaki Resist Dyeing Workshop (Mon, Feb. 2, 7-9pm)
     -- Heartland Maker Fest 2015 (Sat, Oct. 3)
     -- Potential workshop with Peter Folk (on using multimeters,
oscilloscopes, and the wixel)
     -- Google Glass workshop: will sell the Glass, *Nadia is looking into
it*
     -- Saturday Open Hours rotation (11am - 1pm): sign up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050845adac23aa8-urbana> through May 2015!
     -- Spring Make-a-thon with DFA and other local makerspaces: looking at
March or early April for Make-a-thon
     -- Clean-up day: Feb. 14 @ 1pm
*) Other things of interest:
     -- 2015 Festival of Maidens