[Imc-members] Dead space

Elizabeth Cimsohn elizacorps at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 14:35:59 CDT 2004

Hi all-

You may have noticed that the IMC is rarely open.
There are only two official staff shifts. Ouch.

If you have no key, this means you can almost never
use the resources you theoretically have access to. I
don't mean just the equipment. Using the library?
Reading the magazines? Sure.

It also means that, in general, we will continue to
expand only along lines of direct contact (i.e.
friends) which is okay, but I'd rather see the
possibilty of that lawyer changing his life around
because he stopped in and read UTNE over lunch.

So what?

Well, of course getting more regular staffers (think a
small set time once a week. EASY!) would be great.
Please let me know if you want to do that and we'll
make it oh so possbile.

I'm also working on getting the window back. And is
that sandwich board still somewhere? And where's the
doorstop?

Meanwhile I'm encouraging folks to PLEASE pick an hour
or two a week to be doing whatever you might already
want to do: reading, writing, programming, jumping
jacks, etc. but do it in the IMC space with the 'open'
sign out. I'm hoping sporadically open may lead to
accountably open. Having a meeting? Come early, stay
late, etc.

Minimally, if you're in the space PLEASE turn the
front lights on and turn the sign to open. You don't
have to be super available, just be considerate.

It's easy for those of us with the privlege to get in
to forget how irritating it is to be (literally) on
the outside. Until I got my key I dismissed the IMC as
obviously not concerned with joe and jane
schmoemember. Then I got a key and who cares! I can
get in when I want! Now I'm remembering, through
conversations with frustrated members, why I never
came around... because it was never open. Oh yeah. So
let's change that, rah rah rah.

Beth
(Simpson)