[Imc-members] July 10th - Super Summer Skillshares!

Katy Vizdal katyvizdal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 18:53:59 CDT 2010

SUPER SUMMER SKILLSHARE EXTRAVAGANZA!  July 10th, 2010 - 11am-1pm
The UCIMC is all about sharing our time & talents with those around us. A *
skillshare* is a space/place where we learn from one another- a place for
sharing practical skills to live more happy, creative, and sustainable
lives. Learning is plentiful, happens everywhere, and doesn't need to come
with price tags or expert degrees. We are all teachers. We are all students.
We want to live with enthusiasm, so let us learn with vigor!
"Microtonal Refretting". (11am)Andrew Heathwaite of Oddmusic
Urbana-Champaign demonstrates a cheap DIY approach to modifying a guitar (or
any fretted string instrument) to play in alternative tunings systems. He
will present & perform on his two successful microtonal refrets: a 22-tone
acoustic guitar and a harmonic lap dulcimer. No experience in carpentry or
microtunings is necessary, just an experimental desire.“Audio Recording
Field Trip!” (11am)Take a field trip around downtown Urbana to learn various
techniques for recording audio and how to use the H2 Zoom audio recorder
available for IMC members to check out. At the end of the field trip, you
will learn how to import the audio files onto a computer and edit them using
open-source audio editing software that you can download onto your personal
computer for free or use on an IMC workstation. Presented by Carly
Nix.“Formulating
your aesthetic agenda” (12 noon)Skillshare on "formulating your aesthetic
agenda" "counter-intuitive arting" "fulfilling art making" etc. -- Stealing
peoples ideas is OK, but what are you really trying to say with that? Why
are you making things the way you are making things? In one hour we will
cover: commercialization of cop-battles, silent dance parties, check boxes
to find your emphases, trashball work, listmaking, and in general we will
throw things all around so that everyone must take a stand on what they are
taking a stand on. Presented by Rob Scott & Bobbi Bennett."Building a Radio
News” (12 noon)Learn effective ways to write, edit and voice news stories
for radio. Gain basic recording and mixing skills in order get your stories
on the air!" Presented by Bruce Harrison.“Help! My Computer Is Broken!” (12
noon)You've had your new computer for a while, but now random windows appear
with cryptic messages when you're trying to work. Your Internet just stopped
working. And it's slow. What do you do? The causes don't have to be
mysteries. Learn to how find out what's wrong with your computer. Learn how
to fix those problems. Find out who to ask when you need more help. Don't
let your computer determine what you can and can't do. Take control of it
with this workshop. Presented by Brian Duggan.

For more information on Skillshares visit the
Website<http://www.ucimc.org/content/u-c-imc-skillshare>
.

Can't make it?  Don't worry! We will be having more skillshares the
following Saturday, July 17th!  Details to come.
-Community Connections.

--
Katy Vizdal
Performance Venue Coordinator