[Imc-members] Update on IMC-Architecture Faculty partners

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:20:52 CDT 2010

Hey,
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far! I'll definitely keep you in the
loop as things progress.

To open things up a bit more, I've put together a wiki page where you can
find out a little more and where we'll post plans as they solidify more.
We're actively looking for materials that could be used to construct things,
so if you have some leftover lumber or other materials, it will help in
final designs.

Here's the wiki page:
http://wiki.ucimc.org/bin/view/CommunityConnections/UIArchitectureFacultyDesignProjects
I'll be adding more to it soon, but you can see the initial PDF
presentation. It's important to note here that no work will be done prior to
getting feedback from groups that this might affect. The designs look at the
entire first floor space and will make more sense if you think of them
philosophically rather than definite, distinct plans.

The main driving factor in the designs, as was explained to Meme and I, was
to construct "characters"- structures building off of existing pieces of the
building, like a pillar or wall, that allow us to "take back the space"
bringing the activities we do in the space off of the walls and into the
main areas. They would be multifunctional, providing storage, seating,
display, and other functions as needed. Their perception is that the space
as it is kind of dillutes our core activities, pushing them to take place at
the edges of the space. Their designs focus on reclaiming the space in ways
that push activities into more central areas. This will certainly make more
sense when Stewart explains it...

I'd encourage everyone interested to take a look, ask questions, and come to
the upcoming meetings to talk more. Again, I'll emphasize that these designs
are only preliminary and based on initial impressions of the space, our use
of it, and ideas they had on how we could build multifunctional structures
to help in several areas.

Thanks,
CR