[Imc-members] Turning Uniforms into Paper

Katy Vizdal katyvizdal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:17:47 CDT 2010

Click to view this email in a
browser<http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/576870/2db15ccbb9/TEST/TEST/>
    [image: carly.JPG]

 In This Issue: The Combat Paper Project, BAG, "Write From Life" Workshop,
September Shows, CU Folk & Roots Festival

      [image: IMC Building.jpg]
*
202 S. Broadway
Urbana, IL 61801

(The old Post Office Building)

phone: (217) 344-8820
web:**http://www.ucimc.org/<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/fb5d635aa8>
*
------------------------------
 **
   BAG, A Photographic Installation by Ellie Brown
 [image: BAGwebsitepromo.jpg]

 September 1st-29th
  Sun Room Gallery

 With a concept created by Camille Thoman, Ellie Brown photographed people
and their bags in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York and Urbana. The
concept behind the project is to compare our notions of public vs. private
with what we show to outwardly and what we hide in our bags. The purpose of
the project is also to examine what people are or are not materially
attached to and why we as a whole carry around the things we do.

The project lets the viewer decide their own judgements about the person and
their bag based on the contents shown and listed. A bag is something most
people share but the contents are as unique as each individual displayed in
the exhibition. The BAG project is funded in part by the Urbana Arts
Council.

Please read more about the photographer, Ellie
Brown<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/fdad4df7e6>.

------------------------------
  "WRITE FROM LIFE"
A Poetry for the People Workshop
 [image: Poetry4PeopleNoText-2.jpg]

“Poetry for the People” project is a collaboration between the Public i and
Urbana Free Library. Five workshops will be held throughout the fall.  The
first event, entitled “Write from Life,” will be hosted at the Urbana Free
Library on Saturday, Sept. 11, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.. Local poet Matt Murrey will
host the event.  At “Write from Life,” participants will use a family story,
personal photograph or memory as the starting point to create a poem.
Poetry created at this event and others will be selected for a very special
edition of the Public i.

In conjunction with the issue release, a Poetry Slam will be hosted at the
Urbana-Champaig Independent Media Center.  Poetry for the People is a
fantastic opportunity to engage in the community, share your voice, and
empower youth.  Teens and adult writers of all skill levels are welcome to
join.

------------------------------
The UC-IMC is supported by the Illinois Arts Council, Serve Illinois
Commission, and Community Shares of Illinois
[image: CommunityShares.jpg][image: americorps_logo.jpg][image: IAClogo.jpg]
            Brown Bag/Polka Dot Bag Lunch Forums
 Every Thursday, 12:00–1:30pm

 Bring your lunch, and we'll provide speakers/ films for discussion, plus
free coffee and tea. 'Brown Bag Forums' will be presentations of structural
social problems in search of ideas; 'Polka Dot Bag Forums' will be
presentations of ideas in search of problems. Open to all.
Thursdays,12:00–1:30pm.

 ------------------------------

 This Week’s Polka Dot Bag Presentation & Discussion:
THE COMBAT PAPER PROJECT
“Turning Uniforms into Paper”
Thursday, Sept, 9, 12:00–1:30pm

 The Combat Paper Project has traveled throughout the United States, Canada
and the United Kingdom, providing veterans' workshops, exhibitions,
performances, and artists' talks. Their goal is to utilize art as a means to
help veterans [image: CombatProject.jpg]reconcile their personal experiences
as well as to broaden the traditional narrative surrounding service, honor,
and the military culture.  Through papermaking workshops, use the
transformative process of papermaking to reclaim their uniform as art and to
embrace their experiences as a soldier of war. Through this collaboration
between civilians and veterans, a much-needed conversation is generated
regarding our responsibilities to the returned veteran and an understanding
of the dehumanizing effects of warfare.

Location: The Family Room (basement, use door on Elm), Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana

Sponsored by School for Designing a Society & OddMusic

     *
Groove Duke and his Twin City Superband! *
*Friday, September 10th*

[image: Groove Newsletter.jpg]Classic R&B songs and original music from
Groove Duke's new CD: Heavy Mariner! Featuring Mark Cornell, AKA Groove
Duke, and his Twin City Superband.

In conjunction with Community Blood Services of Illinois And “Be The Match”
(National Marrow Donor Program) FAMILY EVENT - all ages welcome! Concert!
Raffles! Food! Fun! Dancing!
Video premier of the new Groove Duke single
“Stick Boy”! Buy the CD and other Groove Duke merchandise! Be The Match
donor registry and awareness! More information
here<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/5d8382e1ee>
.

Friday, September 10, 2010
Doors open at 8:00 p.m. / Concert 9:00 - 11:00 p.m.
Donor registration from 8:00-10:00 p.m.
 ------------------------------
 *Upcoming Shows at the UC-IMC:*

[image: ThePalaceFlophouse.jpg]Friday, September 17th
IMC Shows Presents:
The Private Thoughts<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/f5796e0561>,

The Van Buren Boys,
and Midmost
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/2420dc6aa0>

Saturday, September 18th
IMC Shows Presents:
The Palace Flophouse, Facing Winter, and
Eureka Sky<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/be924f3bf8>

------------------------------
 CU Folk and Roots Festival, Pygmalian Festival and Krannert Center for the
Performing Arts Present:
Those Darlins, The Mean Lids, and The Duke of Uke and his Novelty Orchestra

 [image: ThoseDarlins.jpg]Three groups that present an eclectic mix of
performaing arts collaborate on an evening of diverse music headlined by
Nashiville based Indie/Country/Pop/Punk, female trio Those
Darlins<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/1fd13c1f38/id=17100>.

Opening the evening will be the local group The Mean Lids
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/b71dcc4d56>performing
an assorted repertoire of Irish, Old Time, and Texas Swing music with their
own original flair, and tenacity.

Following the Lids will be one of the most original groups in the area, The
Duke of Uke and his Novelty
Orchestra<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/96ab21bd35>spreading
merriment and joy throughout the land with their Funk-Pop Force,
and the wonderful sounds of the Uke, joined by Saxaphone, Tuba, [image: CU
Folk and Roots Festival.jpg]Violin, and Drums.

Thursday, September 23rd
Start Time: 7:00pm

Check out more CU Folk & Roots Festival activities at the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center
HERE<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?UCIndependentMediaCe/2db15ccbb9/TEST/70b8b2ff85>

   We hope you enjoy our Weekly Events Newsletter! Please come on by and
check us out!

 Sincerely,
The people of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center