[Imc-members] RFU TOWER APPROVED IN UNANIMOUS VOTE!

Kristina Williams kristinawho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:40:16 CDT 2011

Tonight, WRFU has passed the biggest legislative hurdle to date. In a
unanimous 7-0 vote, the City of Urbana voted in favor of granting the IMC a
Special Use building permit to construct WRFU's new 100' tower. This is a
tremenous moment for the IMC and WRFU, five years in the making. Special
thanks must be given to *Mike Lehman, Ricardo Diaz and Tatyana
Safronova*who have worked so hard on creating a fantastic proposal
-and- for their
unwavering support even when presented with a room full of furrowed eyebrows
behind microphones on UPTV. To the overwhelming show of supporters who
attended the Urbana City Council meeting, the Historic Preservation and
Planning Commission meetings:

Carl
Brian D.
Don
Bob
Jacob
Mark
Andrew
Adam
Tyler
Carol
Joe
Judith
Will
Julianne
Ya'aqov
Zoe
and every SDAS student who attended, but I have not yet had the pleasure of
formally meeting (yet).

THANK YOU!!!

*So what's next?
*We need to send our amendments to the IL Historic Preservation. As the IMC
is a historically registered building, we need to run any exterior
structural changes by them before we can break ground. There might be a
survey or two. And then, the building can begin! That tower will be up in no
time.

*How you can help*

   1. *Attend a WRFU meeting.* We meet on the first and third Tuesday of the
   month at 8pm at the IMC. Meetings are open to the public, and you don't have
   to be a member to help (although we'd love to have you if you'd like to
   join).
   2. *Join the conversation.* We are looking to bring in more volunteers to
   weigh in on the final planning stages of tower approval and construction.
   Whatever your skills and knowledge of radio may be, we are open to teaching
   and the only requirement you need is to suit up and show up! Finally...
   3. *DONATE!* <http://wrfu.net/donate> WRFU is funded almost entirely by
   WRFU membership fees and donations. Towers cost money and so does the
   process of building one. Volunteers have already spent hundreds, if not
   thousands, of dollars in donated time and energy (and probably a little
   sanity, too) to bring the tower this far. A question of whether there's
   enough money in the bank should not be the biggest concern on our minds.
   Consider a donation in the amount you think is appropriate. It will be money
   well spent and you can know with confidence that your money will be invested
   directly into YOUR community.

Again, thank you everyone who has supported the tower, both past and
present. We are this much closer to actualizing the original dream of what
WRFU is to be for Chambana (and all the surrounding communities, too!). If
you have an interest in getting involved, but don't know how to start, you
can also always email me and I'll send you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Kristina