[Imc-members] Fwd: Check Us Out in the Washington Post!

carol ammons carolammons at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 02:44:48 UTC 2012

Shared Progress, Please read below.

**

December 3, 2012

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=zT%2B3jHfonVB9hBmJTzH9n2ZPCPUukG7B>
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=40ednHamEkQhADkvP8E4EGZPCPUukG7B>
Dear Carol Ammons,

The powerful work of the Campaign for Prison Phone
Justice<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fItyhBbCzFYI%2Fq%2FzpuLBvWZPCPUukG7B>
has
made it to the Washington Post.  Yesterday Justin Moyer published an
amazing piece about the sky-high rate of prison phone calls, citing Steven
Renderos of Center for Media
Justice<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VFLl5ykDucbTigqcD%2FINVmZPCPUukG7B>
.

The cost of staying connected to a loved one behind bars is too high.
Companies like Securus and Global Tel Link charge as much as $20 for a
15-minute long distance phone call. It's because of these outrageous
charges that Martha Wright filed a lawsuit against the private telephone
companies that were forcing her to pay these predatory rates back in
2001<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8vNGLxsXf%2BeluqG%2F480inGZPCPUukG7B>.
Her
lawsuit was eventually passed on to the Federal Communications Commission
in the form of a proposal called the Wright Petition, nearly a decade
later, Mrs. Wright is still waiting for justice.

"I thought they had just dropped it and forgot about it," she says in the
article.

Read the editorial<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GscDCeEkJC%2FjRTLDKfK7u2ZPCPUukG7B>and
then add your voice to the chorus of people asking the FCC to end the
predatory prison phone rates, by joining our national holiday
"letter-to-the-editor"
action.<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NGZ9urJDPaJmsFgl%2BFq%2BGWZPCPUukG7B>
We're
closing in on a decade, let's keep pushing to make sure the FCC does the
(W)right thing.

In Solidarity,

Center for Media Justice

 <#13b617d4d68ad99c_top>

You are subscribed to The Center for Media Justice's email list. You
can unsubscribe
here<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=i7bA266GiMBBxmX1brmIDJIQo0WXcdxM>
.

Privacy Policy

MAG-Net is a project of The Center for Media Justice (CMJ).  CMJ is
committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our website, as well as
that of our online action members. In general, CMJ treats your contact
information as private and confidential. CMJ will not give, sell, rent,
exchange or otherwise share your information with anyone else without your
prior consent.

    [image: empowered by Salsa] <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>
**

--