[Imc-members] Invitation to participate - IMC safety & security open discussion

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:18:02 UTC 2012

Dear IMC staff, board, working groups and renters:

On Saturday December 8, 2012 from 10 am-12 noon in the first floor Sun
Room, Board member Danielle Chynoweth and myself hosted the first of what
will become an at least quarterly open dialog with the community of
artists, activists, and all around amazing people doing great work in
&around the issue of our building's
safety and security.
*I encourage you to look for announcements of these discussions in the
coming weeks and to consider attending.*

Our intention is to provide a forum for anyone utilizing space at the IMC
to voice security and safety concerns, propose solutions, designs, to use
design and use to improve safety and engage with one another in restorative
dialog.

Below you'll find some notes and action items resulting from that meeting
so community members may be aware of what the IMC board, staff and
community are doing to ensure our facility is a safe space and useful for
all our endeavours.

*12/8/12 IMC Safety & Security facilitated discussion notes*
Discussion focused on both design and use of our spaces in addition to
policies as methods for encouraging legitimate use of the building and
grounds as well as discouraging non-legitimate use. For example the
question was asked: "What are the spaces within the building that have
security/safety issues, and how can we design and use these spaces
differently to have more legitimate use of that space?"

More discussion is certainly needed to identify legitimate and
non-legitimate uses, as well as spaces within the building that should be
focused on for design/use.

Ideas that staff, volunteers and the board will act on immediately:
- Improve lighting in the lower level east hall, outside Elm Street
entrance, outside South Basement entrance, outside on the east and south of
the building
- Implement stronger building signage, both indoor and outdoor, to orient
visitors, members and building users
- Establish a monthly building orientation session, to provide information
and training to keyed members.
- Form design groups of interested members & tenants around key spaces in
the building
- Decide on building zones (most likely by floor) and policy for building
access during business & non-business hours

If you would like to be involved these initiatives, please email or look
for future announcements.

Warm regards,

Chris Ritzo, outgoing chair IMC Building & Facilities committee