[Imc-members] Programming Committe Minutes: 3-23-13

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 14:03:53 UTC 2013

Programming Committee Minutes (3/23/13)
Attendance:  Danielle
Chynoweth (Co- chair, facilitator), Gary Storm (Co-chair, recorder) Alex Cline
(IMC staff), Jay Schubert (Books to Prisoners), Jacob Barton (School for
Designing a Society, Odd Music), Melanie Meltzer (School for Designing a
Society), Don McClure (WRFU) and Sophie Lewis (parent-child advocate)
1. Minutes/notes from February meeting were distributed and
discussed briefly. It was agreed that in the future minutes should, at minimum,
state “actions” that were taken at the meetings.
2. Working Group Reports
A. Books to Prisoners (Jay)
>Semi-annual book sale scheduled for April 12-14 in
the Sun Room
Gary mentioned that a temporary door will be installed to
allow good traffic flow from the Broadway entrance to the IMC
B2P is considering installation of a cork floor in its
workrooms to improve both comfort of volunteers and aesthetics of space; it
would pay for improvements out of its own budget. Positive response – no
concerns raised.
>Danielle mentioned the need to rent all parking
spaces to help deal with the current IMC budget deficit; B2P and other WG’s
will be given first choice to rent available spaces, but they need to
communicate with Carol Ammons ASAP if they want a space.
>Jay mentioned B2P’s current surplus. Danielle
reminded committee members that the IMC subsidized B2P’s rent in early days and
is offering the space currently at below market value. If working groups need
less of a subsidy, this would help the UCIMC’s current budget deficit of
$20,000 in 2013 (created by the loss of AmeriCorps)
B. WRFU (Don)
>WRFU business meetings are scheduled on the first Tuesday
of the month at 8:00 p.m.(next meeting: April 2)
>Danielle asked the WG to consider rescheduling its meeting
time to start somewhere between 5:30-7:30 for the benefit of parents with
children. Both she and Carol Ammons would like to attend and others have raised
concerns about this time.
>Don reported that Dane Spudak and Tom Garcia were
conducting training sessions for people who want to produce shows, but training
has been irregular.
3. Use of Community Room and Family Room Space
A. Community Room
>Currently houses the IMC library (incl. zines) and is
used as “commons meeting space” by the IMC and its WG’s
>Available to rent hourly: IMC members ($10/hour);
non-members ($15/hour)
>Proposal was discussed to rent this space on an annual
basis, giving Makerspace first option to rent
B. Family Room
>Currently rented on an annual basis to School for
Designing a Society, but SDS would like to terminate its lease and move to
renting the space on a daily or hourly basis at times carefully scheduled in
advance, especially 8 hours/week during the fall semester
>SDS has invested in furniture, decorations, lighting
and other equipment that it is willing to share, but wants them protected and
maintained by other users. There was discussion of having UCIMC compensate SDAS
for improvements, furniture, etc. through discounted rent charged SDAS. SDAS
will raise with Finance.
>Proposal was discussed to use this space as “commons
meeting space” by the IMC and its WG’s
> Discussion about appropriate location for zines and
archives – to be taken up with the librarians and staff
>Concern was expressed about renter access to the adjoining
art/studio space
>If the Family Room is rented, the rates discussed
were the same - $10/hour for IMC members and $15/hour for non-members
>With a deposit, a specific key to the space would be
made available to each WG and to groups renting the space on a regular basis
(e.g., CUCPJ); one-time renters of the space would arrange to pay a deposit and
pick up the key from the IMC Operations Manager or a designee

4. Indymedia Hours (“currency”)
>Danielle proposed creating certificates (“Indymedia
Hours”) to document completion of one hour of work at tasks serving the IMC
commons; the certificates, worth $10 each, could be used to lease of space at the IMC and/or pay
membership dues.
>A list of tasks for which certificates can be issued
as well as forms to document the tasks assigned and completed will be
maintained by the IMC Operations Manager or a designee
>PC members present endorsed the proposal
5. IMC Website
>Current IMC website is “broken” and a new one needs
to be developed
>A group of volunteers with interests/skills in
website design and construction is being formed
>Danielle, Jacob and Alex volunteered to become
involved; Jay volunteered to help connect the new website to Book to Prisoners
data and programs
>Other volunteers are being actively recruited
>Danielle emphasized the need for aggregation of
programs and activities in all of the WG’s on the new website.  Since WRFU website is being reconstructued,
there was a proposal to coordinate
6. New Program Proposals
A. New Working Group (Electronic Dancing Music – name?)
>Jay expressed an interest in using the IMC as a site
for where local people could (1) come together weekly to cultivate electronic
music making, disc jockey (DJ) and broadcasting skills and (2) produce shows
featuring electronic dancing music. Weekly meetings would use the venue free of
charge. The shows would be held at the IMC and income generated would be split
between the show organizers and the IMC
>Danielle suggested pursuing these goals through a new
IMC Working Group so that there is a formal relationship between a group using
the space without charge and the IMC. Income from shows should go into that
working group’s account and not the private pocket of a person.  We have had issues in the past with lack of
accountability of funds raised with UCIMC resources and want to avoid this.
>Concerns about making sure weekly gatherings are on
an off night (Wednesdays after 7:30 are ideal) and remain open to everyone
interested.
>Jay plans to take the proposal to a group of 12-15
people with whom he has been working and report back.
B. Urbana-Champaign Community Organizing Conference
>Rachel Storm (who could not attend the PC meeting)
proposed:
A two-day conference Saturday and Sunday one weekend this
summer (June or July?) that would focus on training local community folks with
less experience doing community organizing work (i.e., many of the folks who
asked for this type of summit/conference in Occupy) in skillsets ranging from
submitting a FOIA request to community journalism to direct action to knowing
your rights in protests. I have a list I developed with Occupy of potential
topics for workshops. I envision 2 or 3 concurrent workshops so folks can
select a couple during the day, donated food from the Co-Op or Red Herring (or
perhaps registration fees could cover food costs), etc. I also envision programmed
down time, outdoor yoga, or even attending the Saturday AWARE protest as an
option in the schedule.
We will discuss this at the next PC meeting.
C. IMC Co+Labs (collaborations among working groups as
part of a programming series)
Rachael also proposed:
A calendar of collaborative programming between and/or
among working groups at the IMC (e.g.,  Makespace + Bike Project LED Bike Light Workshop ; CUCPJ + the Rad Librarians
Prison Abolition Zine Open Reading; etc.)
We will discuss this at the next PC meeting.
7. Next meeting:  April 20, 2013—1-3 p.m. in the Sun Room