[Imc-members] News Release Upcoming Concert Perfomance

Ed Hawkes oltime1 at att.net
Fri Feb 21 22:51:01 UTC 2014

For Immediate Release

Musical Storytellers,
Voices for Justice to Perform in Urbana

Contact: Ed Hawkes
Artists: www.charlieking.org
Phone: 217-493-4654
email:  oltime1 at att.net

Charlie King and
Karen Brandow are musical storytellers and voices for justice. Their
repertoire covers a century and a half and four continents. Their
performance will be Sunday March 2nd,  7pm at the First Mennonite
Church, 902 West Springfield, Urbana. Suggested donation is $10, $8
students at the door.

According to
Victory Music Review “Two
voices that complement each other beautifully & instrumentation
that is spare, acoustic & just right”  The year 2014 marks
Charlie’s 50thyear as a performer and 40thyear as a songwriter .
They sing and write passionately
about the extraordinary lives of ordinary people. Their central
vision as entertainers is to leave audiences with a sense of optimism
and possibility about the future. "We try to cover a broad
emotional landscape in our concerts. The stories we collect and the
songs we writer take the listener on a journey of humor, heartache
and hope. What we most value in a song is the way it helps us to see
an old reality in a totally new light."
Charlie King has
been at the heart of American folk music for over 40 years. His songs
have been recorded and sung by other performers such as Pete Seeger,
Holly Near, Ronnie Gilbert, John McCutcheon, Arlo Guthrie, Peggy
Seeger, and Chad Mitchell. Honors include and "Indie" award
for one of the top three American folk recordings of 1984. Pete
Seeger calls Charlie "one of the finest singers and songwriters
of our time."

Karen Brandow has
been performing with Charlie King since 1998. While doing human
rights work in Guatemala from 1986-1994, Karen studied voice,
performance and classical guitar. She performed at political and
cultural events in that country as a soloist and was a founding
member of the a cappella singing group, the Non-Traditional Imports.
While living in Central America, she broadened her repertoire to
include Latin American music of the "Nueva Canción" or New
Song Movement. She performs songs in English and Spanish.