[Imc-members] Illinois Public Media Presents: Community Cinema - "The Trials of Muhammad Ali" March 4

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 20:33:55 UTC 2014

Greetings!

Come to our free screening and discussion of issues raised by this
documentary focusing on Muhammad Ali's toughest bout, his battle to
overturn his five-year prison sentence for refusing U.S. military service
during the Vietnam War.

*The Trials of Muhammad Ali* explores the extraordinary and complex life of
the legendary athlete outside the boxing ring. Outspoken and passionate in
his beliefs, Ali found himself in the crosshairs of conflicts concerning
race, religion and wartime dissent. Directed by Bill Siegel, *The Trials of
Muhammad Ali* examines how one of the most celebrated sports champions of
the 20th century risked fame and fortune to follow his faith and conscience.

On the discussion panel are *Steve Beckett, director of the U of I College
of Law Trial Advocacy Program; Adrian Burgos, U of I professor of History
and of African American Studies; Lou Turner, academic advisor and
curriculum coordinator,  U of I Department of African American Studies;
Jonathan Ebel, U of I associate professor of Religion; and Rory James,
director of the U of I Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center. *The
discussion will be facilitated by WILL's Jeff Bossert.

*Here's a trailer for the film:*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_TD2oYS0A