[Imc-midwest-regional] Editorial policy

Brett M Stephan step0112 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Feb 14 10:37:53 CST 2001

Well, first off, we've recently combined our tech and web content groups
to form an editorial collective, which will be meeting later in the
week. The group was formed in response to the fact that the majority of
editorial work, front page maintainance, etc, was being done by those two
or three individuals with server access, while others (some techies, most
not) were more or less left out. With an editorial group of this type,
direct server access is still kept to a minimum (as it should be), but the
actual decisions and content will be agreed upon by consensus across the
board (I say 'will be' as the group has just formed ;)

We've recently had a personal battle ensue on the newswire, involving
personal and professional attacks, and counter attacks, all of which
fall outside of the criteria for accepted posts according to the
global IMC policy. It was suggested we just follow the global IMC
policy, but we decided that the ed. group should arrive by consensus
at a policy of our own, specific to the problems we've encountered. The
same battle also appeared in other articles and subsequent comments on NYC
IMC, and while we were told that their policy restricted these sorts of
posts, the posts are still visible (i.e. not deleted nor hidden). (I
haven't yet read their policy, althouh I'd like to.)

As I said above, we're meeting later this week, at which point we'll work
on a policy specific to the newswire content... I assume we'll also come
up with some sort of framework for the imcfront.inc (main page) content.

I'll keep you posted...

Brett
Minneapolis