[Imc-midwest-regional] Re: regional gathering

Molly Stentz molly at onthejob.net
Fri Jun 15 10:11:49 CDT 2001

Hi Steve and everybody,

Molly here from UCIMC. Might have met you in Quebec, not sure...

I agree with you so much it is scary! I'd like not to necessarily combine
this w/ a membership meeting, as it could be too cumbersome. Similarly, I
too disagree that focus of this shindig should be on small or mid-sized
town IMCs. I am far less interested in the "IMC as community center" idea
than the "IMC as news production and distribution source". Given this, I
think the focus should be "How do we create a regional news production and
distribution network that is cost-effective (ie affordable!!) for all
participating groups, is fun and inspiring for its volunteers, and fosters
social change?" I think the more resources we have to leverage and
"collectivize" the better off we'll all be.

I would like this to be really FUN! I would like to feel like I have IMC
news bureau reporters in other cities and states that I can correspond
with. I would like to get to know other media producers and media
activists. I want to see collaboratively produced news as a joint project
of severaI IMCs in the region. I want to talk about producing for Nat'l
Radio Project, Free Speech Radio News, Paper Tiger TV, community radio
stations, etc etc. I want to learn so much my head spins. I want to have
the long philosophical conversations at the end of the day about where
we're all going..

It seems to me a duty that the UCIMC host the regional event b/c we seem
to have the most stability and/or resources to make it happen of any other
IMC group I've talked to in the midwest. (?) We're obviously not centrally
located, but we have a space, lots of volunteers, housing accomodations,
and other logistics that make life easier.

I'm thinking about early August currently, so that we have enough time to
plan, and so we don't run up into the school year & end of summer/
traveling season for some folks. I agree with the July 1 suggestion to
finalize basic details.

Please send more feedback my way. I have been enjoying what I've been
getting so far!

-Molly
Urbana-Champaign IMC

Additionally, I would encourage all interested UC IMC folks to join the
imc-midwest-regional email list on http://lists.groogroo.com if they would
like to continue this discussion so that we can free up traffic from the
main list. Thanks!