[Imc-midwest-regional] [legal issues] This does concern me... FW: [IMC-Process] Where we at?

Chris Kaihatsu ckaihatsu at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 00:23:52 CDT 2001

----------
From: Biodun Iginla <biginla at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: Kathleen DiNuzzo <kdinuzzo at hotmail.com>, imc-editorial at indymedia.org
Cc: imc-process at indymedia.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: FW: [IMC-Process] Where we at?

  Kathleen DiNuzzo <kdinuzzo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>From: evan at protest.net
>To: imc-process at indymedia.org
>Subject: Re: FW: [IMC-Process] Where we at?
>Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:15:00 -0700 (MST)
>
>This is to the rest of the list, not Kathleen, or who ever she may
>actually be. We need an environment of respect on our mailinglists. From
>what i read of Chris's email he seemed to be a constructive and
>valuable contribution to the discussion. Thank you Chris!
>
>Kathleen's posts are contradictory and incendary. Beyond questions about
>whether or not "she" is actually biodun, she hasn't introduced her self in
>the roll call or contributed the development or work on this list.

Hey Bio:

Your name is still coming up on IndyMedia lists. You might want to do
something about that.

Hey IndyMedia Folks:

Now I'm getting really pissed. I vacated the IndyMedia collective and
listservs months and months ago, yet my name is still appearing on these
lists. I'm temporarily subscribed to send this message, then I'll
unsubscribe again.

I now work in corporate media, where I started out, and to where I've
retreated after my bitter experiences at IndyMedia. In corporate media my
work is respected and valued, and at least I know who my friends are. All of
them are not hypocrites pretending to be anarchists and anti-racists.
They're actually "behind enemy lines," so to speak, doing some real work for
social justice, and actually exposing events that had been underreported and
also doing their best to highlight issues being debated within activist
organizations. I'll give you a concrete example:

Last May, during the May Day protests in Minneapolis, IndyMedia activists
posted a complaint in the IndyMedia newswire that corporate media completely
ignored the protests--a complaint I'd heard repeated ad nauseam the few
inane collective meetings I attended when I was wasting my time with
IndyMedia. This particular complaint was far from accurate. This is what I
witnessed myself at the May Day protest in downtown Minneapolis: A Channel 5
(ABC affiliate) reporter with a mike and a camera-person approached an
"activist," wanting her to talk about the demonstration, to provide her
perspective. The "activist" simply dismissed this reporter and said: "I
don't want to talk to you. We have our own media." (By which she meant
IndyMedia, whose own "reporters" were milling about with press passes that
won't get them through any secured press conferences in any continent on the
planet.)

This incident reflects well the "culture" of IndyMedia.

You people flatter yourself if you think I give a rat's ass about what's
going on at IndyMedia or even have the time to find out what's going on. If
Kathleen (a former colleague in the mid-80s in New York corporate media)
hasn't bothered to introduce herself, that's her prerogative.

A lawsuit is pending against Christopher Mitchell of the Twin Cities IMC for
maligning me on this list: It's simply delayed because he doesn't have any
money yet. Acts like his should no longer go unpunished. If my name comes up
again in a negative way, I swear I'll have to take legal action. This is
serious business. Some of us are not in Kansas--or in school--anymore. Some
of these postings with my name in it have the potential to be harmful, since
what I do is public. Therefore, there will be legal consequences if these
practices persist. I mean it.

Biodun Iginla
Writer, Author, News Analyst
e-mail: biginla at email.com