[Imc-midwest-regional] forming a midwest regional IMC:

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 4 17:24:16 CST 2001

I'm not so sure about a midwest IMC.  Mostly, I don't understand what
purpose it would serve -- what issues are there that affect the entire
midwest that aren't being dealt with, or, more importantly, can't be dealt
with by individual IMCs by themselves or in coordination with one another?

When we were first discussion the formation of the U-C IMC, we considered
making our's a "Central Illinois" IMC, but ultimately decided that we were
encouraging localism, and so would rather that other cities and towns in
Central Ill. start their own IMCs rather than have Urbana umbrella
them.  It seems like the way we've been approaching the IMC idea here in
Urbana is that it should be a community resource, both in the virtual and
physical world.  That's also the impression I've gotten from the other
IMCistas from other cities whom I've met.  I have a hard time seeing how a
midwest IMC in Oklahoma can be any more of a community resource for someone
in Nebraska or Missouri than the global IMC other other local Midwest IMCs.

Since AFAIK there is no Oklahoma IMC, I'd suggest that this group try and
cover their local region first and maybe all the midwestern US IMCs can
join together if we see a need for an umbrella midwest IMC.

Can we ask this person to join the imc-midwest-regional mailing list so
that there can be a more direct dialog?

--Paul