[Imc-midwest-regional] Intro

Brian Hagy bhagy at imsahp.cu.groogroo.com
Mon Nov 5 19:43:13 CST 2001

i think that imcs should form locally (thus, OKIMC, UCIMC, STLOUISIMC,
etc.) and we could link into a midwest imc through this list, for now.
I'm not sure of the usefulness yet of a midwest regional imc site, unless
it's only to connect people to all the midwest IMCs, which it seems the
left hand sidebar on any IMC site already does, to some degree at least.

of course, what the ohio valley imc has done is also interesting.  what
they've done is become the local site for many cities in ohio, and then
linked from their banner to other closeby imcs.  this might be a useful
measure to do with the proposed OKIMC, which is to host nearby states
*until they can form a local imc* and then link via the banner at the top
to the other midwest imcs.

if one imc site tries to cover all the news in the midwest, i suspect the
newswire sidebar would scroll through too fast, as well as possibly start
losing interest from folks far away from the central server.

that's not to say that the midwest imcs shouldn't be linked in
communication.  we recently hosted here at the urbana-champaign imc a
midwest regional gathering (hence the reason this listserv came to be in
the first place) in which we could begin networking ourselves, without
losing the independences of each site.  the notes from that conference
have been posted to every US imc, so you should be able to find them.