[Imc-midwest-regional] Re: finalizing the beginning

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at urbana.indymedia.org
Sun Sep 16 16:49:09 CDT 2001

brian et al.,

here's some comments (IN CAPS -- no screaming intended, just to make it
easier to find and read):

At 11:36 AM 09/16/01 Sunday, Brian Hagy wrote:

>howdy folks.  so, after a few emails from here and there, it sounds as if
>the weekend of October 19-21 is perfect for the first midwest gathering.

SOUNDS GOOD, I'LL START PASSING ON THE WORD -- OTHER FOLKS SHOULD DO LIKEWISE.

>So here's a plan for that weekend, feel free to amend as desired.
>
>Friday, October 19:  folks begin pouring into the streets of Urbana,
>Illinois.  A welcoming conversation and performance begins around 6 or so,
>with dinner?  8 pm starts an active training session on how to use various
>equipments (minidiscs, digital cameras and digital video cameras, etc.)
>plus some useful pointers on recording techniques and interviewing
>techniques.  We conclude the nite with dancing in the halls (or sleeping).
>
>Saturday, October 20:  9 am, we offer breakfast stuff.  10-1, we offer
>various workshops and conversations which emphasize things useful for each
>imc and other grassroots media to employ and tinker with within their
>respective communities.  Thus the morning is dedicated to things which
>help build each media site individually.  Such things offered could be:
>how to get a 501(c)(3) status, how to get funding, how to get equipment,
>etc.
>         The afternoon, say, 3-6, would then focus of workshops and
>conversations which emphasize things useful for networking all of us
>together.  Thus, helping to build the indymedia movement as a whole.  Such
>topics could include: getting all the imcs independent of seattle,
>discussions of web design (making "our" imc webpages easier to
>understand), improving communication and conversations between imcs and
>other indymedias (especially during critical moments, such as during
>direct actions, protests, and other large events), and public performance
>of indymedia (getting people to know about and respect the idea of
>independent media).
>         The nite could be used for performances, talking, creating, and
>any other useful activities to help amuse ourselves.
>
>Sunday, October 21: this day would be used to continue discussions and
>activities brought up on saturday.  the morning would be emphasized, so
>that those who need to travel long distances to get back home could do so
>after any wrap ups.  this is not to say that other stuff couldn't occur in
>the afternoon.  i just prefer that things which should involve everyone
>are set up to do that.

THIS SOUNDS GREAT BRIAN.  I'D LIKE TO READ WHAT OTHER FOLKS HAVE TO SAY
ABOUT THE PROPOSAL.

>As i said, please feel free to amend the proposal above.  It's a rough
>outline created from all the emails i've received about what people would
>like to talk about.  if i've missed something, please feel free to yell,
>shout, wink, and even blow a kiss in my direction.  and again, the above
>is only an outline.  the closer we get to the weekend, the more specific
>the schedule will become.
>
>My plan is to give everyone a week to respond to this email.  Then, next
>sunday, i will send out formal invitations to as many midwest (and beyond)
>imc's and other indymedias as i can find.
>
>also, any thoughts about stuff like registration, costs, etc?  my thought
>is that people should register so that we here in urbana can have a sense
>of how many people are coming, and that the gathering be open to even
>those who don't register.  and since there will be food offered, a small
>sliding scale fee of say $10-$100 be suggested.

I THINK WE SHOULD SET A REGISTRATION DATE OF 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE 19TH --
I.E. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH.  US URBANA FOLKS WILL NEED TO FIND HOUSING,
ORGANIZE FOOD DISTRIBUTION, AND DO OTHER LOGISTICAL STUFF.  I THINK 2 WEEKS
IS THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM WE WILL NEED.  WE WILL ALSO NEED TO HAVE A FAIRLY
GOOD IDEA OF HOW MANY PEOPLE IN TOTAL ARE COMING.  OBVIOUSLY, ANYONE CAN
SHOW UP WITHOUT REGISTERING, BUT WE WON'T FEEL AS GUILTY IF THEY HAVEN'T
LET US KNOW AHEAD OF TIME.

AS FOR COSTS, I AGREE WITH BRIAN THAT WE SHOULD CHARGE A SLIDING SCALE, BUT
THAT IT SHOULD START AT $0 AND GO PAST $100.  I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE
ORGANIZATIONS/IMCS SPONSOR INDIVIDUALS TO ATTEND.  I THINK OUR SUGGESTED
MINIMUM SHOULD BE AT LEAST $20 -- I AM VERY CONCERNED THAT WE NOT BANKRUPT
OURSELVES (THIS WOULDN'T BE A VERY SUSTAINABLE PRACTICE).

>comments are greatly appreciated.

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO SEE COMMENTS FROM OTHER FOLKS,

--sascha