[Imc-midwest-regional] Peace Activism in Palestine Speaker

lovinart at riseup.net lovinart at riseup.net
Tue Sep 9 23:45:14 CDT 2003

Hello.

My name is Joe Carr and I am a peace and anti-racist activist from Kansas
City, Missouri. From January to August 2003, I worked with the
International Solidarity Movement (ISM) doing peace work in Rafah, the
southern-most city of the Gaza Strip, Palestine. I witnessed an Israeli
Bulldozer murder U.S. peace activist Rachel Corrie and an Israeli sniper
shoot British activist Tom Hurndall in the head, as well as many other
examples of daily Israeli violence and oppression.

I have formed a fairly elaborate presentation that features pictures and
diagrams and details Rafah's situation, explains ISM's activities in
Palestine, and tells many stories of people, actions, and atrocities. I
also share art and poetry inspired by my experience.

I would love to share my presentation in your area. I am available from
September to December of this year. I am currently located in Grinnell
Iowa, 50 miles east of Des Moines. I have a car and can drive to most
locations in the mid-west. I am also open to taking a bus, train or plane
depending on the location. Des Moines would be my departure city. I ask
for you to cover my travel expenses, and provide for my accommodations
while in town (I am quite adept at sleeping on couches). My car gets 25
miles to the gallon, and I ask for 35 cents a mile to cover other car
expenses. My expenses usually do not exceed $50.00.

It is possible that I am already presenting in your area, contact me and I
can send you dates. When I make a trip, I prefer to present at multiple
places. If you’re interested in bringing me, perhaps you could check with
other local organizations, or send me their information, and then you
could share my transportation costs.

In addition to spreading this important information, I am trying to raise
money for my future return to Palestine. Any money your group could
contribute to this would be much appreciated. 25% of this money will go
directly to ISM Palestine, and the rest will be saved for my future
return. I have repeatedly been amazed at how much money can be raised from
a simple donation jar at the event, so please do not let money keep you
from having me speak.

I have a laptop for my PowerPoint presentation, I need a computer
projector to display the pictures, but if one is not available, I can
present without it. I bring a table's worth of information about the
Palestinian/Israeli Conflict and how to get involved, as well as a photo
album and some paintings inspired by Rachel Corrie.

I have created a flyer that you could use to advertise my event, it is
easily altered to reflect whatever event your group would like. Contact me
if you’d like it mailed or attached as a file.

If your group is not interested in bringing me to present, I would love it
if you'd forward this to any group or individual you think might be.

You can contact me at lovinart at risup.net, or call me at 816-805-7133.

I look forward to hearing from you.

in love and solidarity

-Joe