[Imc-midwest-regional] Urbana LPFM & Community Wireless Barnraising: November 11-13, 2005

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Oct 20 12:46:24 CDT 2005

Hi all,

Thought this would interest a number of you.

--Sascha

***

UCIMC & Prometheus Radio Project

present

RADIO STATION BARNRAISING: RADIO FREE URBANA, WRFU-LP!
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

November 11-13, 2005

Join the Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center, Champaign Urbana
Wireless and Prometheus for another hair-raising spine-tingling
electrically-charged weekend radio project!  Jump in with hundreds of
volunteers from around the country as we come together to build a new
radio station from microphone to antenna in three headlong days.   This
barnraising will also be the grand opening of the new IMC space--the
downtown post office--which was purchased by the IMC last May.

No longer content to engage & enthrall scores of volunteers with a
plain old radio barnraising, Prometheus and the UCIMC take the mammoth
task of building a radio station over the course of a singe weekend in
stride.  This time, we're not stopping at the FM AIRWAVES; we're setting
our sights on freeing the whole SPECTRUM for use by democratic
communications as we look to the future of radio!  This barnraising
round, we'll also build out the Champaign Urbana wireless network. CUWiN
is a pioneering leader in community broadband services.  While some of us
construct the studio & raise the antenna to get WRFU on the air, others
will set up
access points to expand  this open source community wireless network!

Dozens of radio workshops and station building will take place at the
sparkling  new IMC space in Urbana's former Post Office Building.

Radio Free Urbana, WRFU-LP, 104.5 FM will be born on Sunday, November
13th!  All skill levels encouraged, from engineer to nowhere near, and no
one will be  turned away for lack of funds!

You Be There!  We'll Be There!

for info or to register, visit www.prometheusradio.org

Registration is $125 for the full weekend, all meals included
(coming straight from local farmers who support local radio!  RFU folks
are canning fruits of the harvest as we speak!)

Free housing available if you register by November 1 and are not too
fussy about where you lay your head.

Discounted and other slashed rates available, so no excuses!

we have phones too! (215) 727-9620.

LPFM and Community Wireless Join Forces!

Don't miss out on our next barnraising in Champaign Urbana Illinois
November 11-13, 2005.

In collaboration with the Independent Media Center and CU Wireless, we
will build Radio Free Urbana, WRFU-LP, and build out the CU community
wireless network!

Register now at: www.prometheusradio.org/urbana

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President