[Imc-newsroom] a story idea

megminer megminer at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 22 07:31:34 CDT 2001

Hi Newsroom List!
I have a story idea but can't tackle it myself.  I know of a man who has been
sitting in local jails for almost a year for a sexual assault he did not
commit.  He was implicated by a juvenile female and arrested the day following
the attack.  Shortly after that day, she either withdrew her accusation or the
cops figured it out themselves.  The reasons he has been left in jail are
unclear to me.  I think it's got a lot to do with his being a young African
American male with a prior record.  But to me the important things are that
they did a DNA test on him which proved he did not attack the girl and the
State's Attorney even said there was no case against him.  And yet he is still
in jail.

Is anyone interested in this story?  If so, please send your phone number
directly to me as I am not on this list.

Thanks for considering the idea!
Meg Miner
(217) 489-5905
megminer at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

O we are all racist  we are all sexist  some of us only some of us
are the targets of sexism of homophobia of class denigration but we all
all breathe in racism with the dust in the streets  with the words we read
and we struggle those of us who struggle  we struggle endlessly endlessly
to think and be and act differently from all that
-- unattributed; Isis International Bulletin, no. 21, p. 39 (1981)

"What if the Hokey Pokey really _is_ what it's all about?"
--Noovo/Retro greeting cards