[Imc-newsroom] plans for mother jones

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 8 15:47:34 CST 2001

I thought I'd give an update for everyone to know the rough progress on our
dear audio editing machine.

The thing is mostly together and much more stable (but not utterly
stable).  Brian and I have put in many hours over the past week working on
this damn machine.

We will install a new case fan this week.  On Monday evening I will install
Star Office, a free MS Office compatible office suite that also implements
an opensource version of XML in its file formatting.  (chosen because it's
free, not bootleg, and far more open-source-like than Microsoft
applications, which, by the way, cost hundreds of dollars).  I will also
take a stab at some more instructions to help address some of the problems
people have had lately.

I'm personally sorry that this machine has caused so many people so many
problems -- if there were something I could have done to fix it in a snap I
would have done it. As it is, so much has been a mystery.

Please let me or Brian know about problems you have, or leave a
post-it-note on the monitor.  The more explicit you are, the more help you
give in fixing it.  Notes like "machine crashed," let us know it crashed,
but don't give us much clue how to fix it.  Instead, tell us what you were
doing, what applications you had running and how long the machine had been
on.  That will help much more.

Thanks,

Paul
IMC-Tech