[Imc-newsroom] For Immediate Release

blackwidow blackwidow at bluemarble.net
Sun Dec 16 16:28:54 CST 2001

Press Release                                 For Immediate Release
Contact 812-340-5164 For professional quality Photos, directions to site,
interviews
Contact 812-337-0452 Bloomington Independent Media Center
Email Blackwidow at bluemarble.net

Update on Yellowwood Tree-Sit Victory in Brown County Indiana, And reaction
to Goss being appointed Director of Indiana DNR

A week has past since members of the Yellowwood treehuggers Dismantled their
tree stand in Yellowwood State Forest in Brown County Indiana. Last Sunday
the tree-sit was taken down as a sign of compromise toward the Indiana
Department of Natural Resources. The Treehuggers, hoped that by removing
their tree-stand, that DNR would realize that they where rational people who
want to have dialogue with the DNR.
Monday December 10, Jim Allen of the DNR, not knowing that the tree-sit was
dismantled, went out to the site, and posted harvest area signs. According
to DNR, the loggers contacted them and wanted to cut starting December 11.
Word spread quickly throughout the environmental community about the site
being closed, and people took action by calling DNR, and Mark Kruzan. Kruzan
is State Representative from Bloomington and is the Majority Leader. Mr.
Kruzan then contacted Assistants to Governor O’Bannon, and John Davis,
Deputy Director of Indiana DNR.
By 6 p.m. Members of the Yellowwood Tree-huggers where contacted by the
Bloomington Herald Times, and by Kruzan that the DNR has cancelled the sale,
and is in talks with Taggart Sawmill to purchase the trees back.
“What a roller coaster day” stated Curtis McNeely, avid supporter of the
tree-sit, referring to waking up that morning, thinking the trees would be
gone, then finding out the news. “Today (Dec 10) is my Birthday, and I want
to thank Governor O’Bannon, Mark Kruzan, and Indiana DNR for  giving me the
best present of my life, 78 trees!” Said McNeely
Mark Kruzan will be introducing a bill in January that if passed, would end
all commercial logging on Public Lands. When asked how this action may
effect the state forest campaign Rachel Leaneagh said  “I think it's
fantastic that you have saved 78 trees and I am really excited to be getting
all this information via email I really think there is a chance for the bill
now. When different people come together
for a common cause it's really calming to see results like this.”
These organizations below are excellent sources of background information on
the issues here and may be contacted as resources
The Indiana Forest Alliance 812-332-4878                  Heartwood
812-337-8898