[Imc-newsroom] Fw: Salvadoran Union Workers Under Attack Dec 20th!

david johnson unionyes at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 23 08:48:20 CST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: steve zeltzer <lvpsf at igc.org>
To: TUDN <lvpsf at igc.org>; bawdn <lvpsf at igc.org>
Date: Saturday, December 22, 2001 7:02 PM
Subject: Salvadoran Union Workers Under Attack Dec 20th!

    December 20, 2001
    ACTION ALERT!

    SALVADORAN UNION WORKERS UNDER ATTACK!!
    Tell Airport Management to Stop Illegal Harassment and Union Busting!
    Since the attacks of September 11, the Salvadoran government has used the "war on terrorism" as an excuse to attack public-sector trade unions and privatize El Salvador's public goods and services.  One of the primary targets of privatization is the Comalapa international airport, where the Salvadoran Union of International Airport Workers (SITEAIES) has proven to be a formidable adversary.

    On the weekend of September 23, military personnel removed 198 workers at the Comalapa airport at gunpoint; the next morning, they were physically barred from returning to work.  According to the union, the government took these actions under the pretense of "national security measures following the events of September 11 in New York and Washington," and went as far as to accuse the union of "wanting to associate with terrorist groups."

    Now, the CEPA airport authority is trying to get rid of the 120 SITEAIES workers who still remain.  Union members have been subjected to on-the-job harassment and unfair work reassignments.  Five managers-including the airport director and chief of security-have illegally threatened workers that they could be fired if they do not renounce their union membership.

    But the union members are holding strong!  As of today, nearly three months later, 68 of the fired workers have not cashed their severance check - entering the Christmas season with no salary and no unemployment compensation - and are fighting to get their jobs back.  And the union continues to mobilize against this illegal union busting!  SITEAIES is a leading member of the militant union federation, FESTRASPES, which is planning for major mobilizations against privatization in the weeks and months to come.

    The workers call on international solidarity for support!  After being bombarded with emails, US Embassy Labor Attaché Julie Schechter was instructed by her boss, US Ambassador Rose Liekens, to meet with Labor Minister Jorge Nieto to "resolve the situation" regarding the firing of airport workers.  Our political pressure is working!

    Emails, phone calls and faxes from the United States represent an integral part of the current campaign against the anticipated firings of up to 20,000 public-sector workers.  Oscar Bolaños, head of FESTRASPES, wrote CISPES, "we know that your work of solidarity contributes greatly to strengthening the struggle for social justice that we are developing in this country."
    ***TAKE ACTION NOW TO SUPPORT UNIONIZED AIRPORT WORKERS!***
    1)  Fax the Minister of Labor and the President of the CEPA Port Authority!
    Support the demands of the workers and request that they reinstate the 68 fired union members, and put a halt to the illegal harassment and firings of unionized workers.  (See sample fax)

    2)  E-mail Julie Schechter, Labor Attaché at the U.S. Embassy in El Salvador (schechterjl at state.gov) and request that she convey the  demands of the workers to President Flores: immediate reinstatement of all fired Comalapa Airport workers, and an end to illegal union-busting practices.  (See sample text)

    3) Distribute this alert widely by posting it to list serves or distributing to other groups and individuals.  Please send a copy of your faxes and e-mails to the CISPES office (e-mail: cispesnatl at people-link.net, Fax: 212-465-8998).
    We will send copies to our partners in El Salvador.

    ****FAX THIS (Reformat if necessary) *****

    FAX para:

    El Ministro de Trabajo 011-503-263-5272

    El Presidente de CEPA 011-503-260-3321

    Señor Presidente de Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria de El Salvador
    Señor Ministro del Trabajo
    San Salvador, El Salvador

    Estimados Señores:

    Reciban un cordial saludo. La razón de lo presente es para expresarles mi preocupación por las noticias que me llegan desde El Salvador. Es de mi conocimiento que la Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria de El Salvador ha despedido 198 trabajadores del aeropuerto Comalapa, y que 68 de aquellos trabajadores todavía reclaman sus propios puestos de trabajo. Entiendo que todos los despedidos son miembros del Sindicato de Trabajadores por Establecimiento del Aeropuerto Internacional de El Salvador (SITEAIES).  Los despidos constituyen una grave violación a los derechos laborales y al derecho de organización que tienen todos los miembros de SITEAIES.

    También, me viene la noticia que varios dirigentes de la CEPA actualmente andan amenazando a los 120 afiliados de SITEAIES que todavía se quedan, de renunciarse.  Estos dirigentes son German Dueñas, Gerente del Aeropuerto; Benjamin Soler, Jefe de Seguridad; Feftali Ramirez, Jefe de Recursos Humanos; Luis Carballo, Jefe de Mantenimiento; y Mauricio Avila, Jefe de Operaciones.

    En apoyo de las demandas de los trabajadores, le demando la reincorporación de los 68 trabajadores despedidos, un alto a las amenazas, y le solicito que usted continúe reuniéndose con los trabajadores de SITEAIES para buscar una solución a este problema.

    Sigo muy de cerca el desarrollo de la situación laboral y de respeto a los derechos humanos en El Salvador y me preocupa de sobremanera lo que ocurre en su empresa. Permítame expresarle mi intención de comunicarme con mi representante en el Congreso sobre mis preocupaciones al respecto de este tema.  Gracias por su atención.

    Atentamente,

    ******FYI****************
    (English translation of sample fax to the Minister of Labor and the President of the CEPA Port Authority)

    Mr. President of the Executive Commission of the Salvadoran Port Authority
    Mr. Minister of Labor
    San Salvador, El Salvador

    Dear Sirs:

    Please receive my greetings. I am writing to you with great concern. It has come to my attention that the Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria de El Salvador has fired 198 workers at the Comalapa airport, and that 68 of these workers still wish to reclaim their proper jobs.  I understand that all of them are members of the union Sindicato de Trabajadores por Establecimiento del Aeropuerto Internacional de El Salvador (SITEAIES). These firings constitute a grave violation of labor rights and of the right to organize that every SITEAIES member enjoys.

    Also, it has come to my attention that certain CEPA representatives are currently threatening the 120 SITEAIES union members who remain. These representatives are German Dueñas, airport director; Benjamin Soler, chief of security; Feftali Ramirez, head of Human Resources; Luis Carballo, head of maintenance; and Mauricio Avila, head of Operations.

    In support of the demands of the workers, I demand the reincorporation of the 68 fired workers and an end to the threats, and I ask that you continue meeting with the workers of SITEAIES to find a solution to this problem.

    I closely follow the labor and human rights situation in El Salvador and am shocked at your actions. I will communicate my concerns to my congressional representatives. Thank you for your concern.

    Sincerely,

    ************* EMAIL THIS (Personal text changes optional)*****************

    TO:  schechterjl at state.gov
    SUBJECT:  Please help stop the union busting!

    Ms. Julie Schechter
    Labor Attaché
    U.S. Embassy
    Antigua Custcatlan
    El Salvador

    Dear Ms.Schechter:

[...]

    I call upon you to contact the president of CEPA and the minister of labor and express your deep concern about this clear violation of labor rights.  Please convey to them the need to reinstate the workers, to end the harassments, and to continue negotiations with SITEAIES members and amiably resolve the situation.

    I am aware of the positive role you have taken in the past in support of the situation of the SITEAIES workers, and I thank you for that. I strongly urge you to now continue with these positive actions. I closely follow the labor and human rights situation in El Salvador and am deeply concerned at what is happening since September 11th. I will also contact my congressional representatives with my concerns. Thank you.

    Sincerely,

    CISPES - COMMITTEE IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE PEOPLE OF EL SALVADOR
    130 West 29th St., 9th Floor, New York, NY 10001 • 212-465-8115
    FAX:  212-465-8998 • cispesnatl at people-link.net • www.cispes.org

    Bay Area C.I.S.P.E.S.
    Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador
    3382 26th (between Mission and Capp)
    (415) 648-8222 or (415) 824-4282
    ba-cispes at prodigy.net
    www.cispes.org